Home Technical Talk

Maya Skinning: do game engines support smooth bind?

Hey sorry for the newbness of the question but:

I was trained on max, and max has one skinning method to rule them. Have to use Maya on this project. I'm confused when I see Maya smooth and rigid bind. The docs say smooth is for CG and rigid is for games, but, really? Can they be THAT different that a game engine simply cannot handle smooth bind?

Looking for more of a comparative evaluation of the pros/cons of using smooth vs rigid, if that's not too much to ask for... (that is assuming the answer isn't just a flat "no, engines don't take smooth bind." lol.)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Replies

• kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Games do support multiple skin weights (smooth skin). I have no idea of how many for different engines. I know that UT2k4 allowed up to 3 weights per vertex :P
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most games do both, nearly every character you see in a game is what Maya would call smooth binding. Rigid binding is more like parenting to a node or bone; the entire affected shape would move/rotate with a bone. That said, I haven't messed around with rigid binding much.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't take Maya's docs as the end-all truth about what kind of binding a game engine supports. :) Under the hood it's all just bone weights assigned to verts. Question is, since you're being asked to use Maya on this project, why post a pipeline question on the internet when you could just ask your co-devs what the recommended way to get bone weights into the engine is?
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    We never touched Rigid Bind in Maya.
    Smooth bind is all we ever used and we had 4 bone weighting per vertex in game.