Home Technical Talk

Need Help : Quake 3 modeling

I remember finding lots of Q3 models on the old polycount website, so perhaps someone here can help me.

I'd like to know how to create a Quake 3 model.

Which software to use :

Blender ? - > I have it, in installed tons of scripts so that I could import / export .md3 files, nothing worked. Besides, I'm afraid models would have too many polygons to fit a Q3A character.

Milkshape 3D ? --> I got it, I am very new to this. Actually the import / export .md3 works great there, still, when I open Quake 3 Arena characters, the meshes are separate (this is normal) and I have no clue how to see how they animated the characters. I have no clue about how to create an animation for Q3A neither.

3D studio Max ? -> never tried it...what about it ?

If there's any people here that have experience with Quake 3 arena characters making, I'll be glad to learn from you, everything you know.

Also, if you'd like to partake in a Quake 3 based project, send me a PM and I'll give you some informations.

Thanks in advance.

P.S : If you know some good tutorials about all that, give a link. I've read tons of them already but one never knows....

Replies

• Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    I've managed to create some characters back in the day, using 3DS max 4 i believe.

The animations were created in max using a biped, i believe Paul Steed released some of the .bip files once upon a time.

From memory...
    Models are broken down into 3 parts, head, torso and legs, they have tags (triangles) that are used to pin each body part onto the other. Each body part has to be named properly, they are exported as 3 separate files, so you can technically mix n match with all the other ones available. There's probably a skin file involved to assign texture paths, as well as an animation "index" file, which contains the start, stop, loop and speed of each anim sequence.

This has more details:
    http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/Thornbird/images/tutorials.html