Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mechanical Mechanic woman

Her face is based on Gene Tierney's. I want to eventually replace her eye and one arm with electronic parts from the 40's. There's quite a bit of research in my GA thread so I will just link from there.

GA thread

feel free to crit, paintover, comment. I can get tunnel vision from working on projects. Do I have to do some sort of special tag for the images to display full size?

Replies

• ninjatofu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're going for likeness, the nostrils don't come up so much. The eyes could be a touch smaller if you check back to your reference and the shape should be less almond-like and the jaw could be a bit wider.

Overall proportion wise the shape of the skull isn't quite right and you're missing a lot of mass on the sides and the back of the head. Did a quick paint over of a few bits.
  • womball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome crit. I incorporated all of the revisions and some extras. There are still some trouble areas, like the under eyebrow, the brows, cheek shape and underlips. There is some funky mesh artifacting around the ears which is from adding an edgeloop to the lower level of the rough base mesh.

-edit what is up with picture uploads? The images show up in the preview, but look like html script in the actual post.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1209&stc=1&d=1289016367
    attachment.php?attachmentid=1210&stc=1&d=1289016367
  • ninjatofu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking much better. A big thing I missed in my other post was the height of her head. Eyes are usually around the midline so the top of the head should come down. The rest of the height is her hair and not her skull.

Her neck doesn't need to be so thin and if you check the front view in your ref, her neck is a bit thicker than what you've got. Also regarding her neck, the sternocleidomastoid muscle isn't quite straight on the profile view.

Eyes are almost there, just need to adjust the shape a little bit on the inside. The brow is also getting too sharp. I'd add a bit of mass beneath it to soften it up. Same goes for under the eye.

I feel the nose still looks off compared to the ref, but it depends on how much of a likeness you want. Your nose feels a bit bulbous comparatively.

There's some weirdness going on with the cheek and how it transitions into the ear. It should be more of a single soft curve that moves up towards the ear. Right now I see a strange s curve that drops at the front and goes up at the end before dropping a bit again at the ear.

Last bit is on the shape of the lips. The dent right above the lips (philtrum) is too deep right now. And the top two curves could be softened a bit. Right now that area looks really unnatural.
  • womball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I think I miscalculated where the center of the head was, eye wise. Been making the heads rather tall lightly. New update and hair rough in.

Need to start finalizing the concept though so less tweaking and more concepting soon.