Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Eat3D contest entry

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
hi guys, I guess i should post my entry for the eat3D challenge "old & damaged", thoughts I could get some comments, as apparently i'm not getting any on the site in question...

viewgrabfinal.jpg

Replies

• an aggressive napkin
    It all seems to be just one color, I think you should add some in haha maybe the tiles and pipes n wires
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    you should make a decal sheet to help you marry some of those assets to the wall. right now everything looks like its floating. If you put some stains or just some simple faked ambient occlusion on flat sheets in between the wall and assets things will look a bit more real.

also, maintenance boxes usually have more accessibility/functionality than you have.
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah well the challenge is over now :P there is one thing I should note though: due to poor time management and a series of unfortunate events, what you see here is done 90 % within a period of a mere 7 hours, including the high poly, normal baking, and texturing... which impeded my critical view at the time, therefore diminishing the eventual outcome of the concept

okay, those were a lot of big words :P what I'm trying to say is that it was done a bit rush rush, and i'm aware of the fact that i've made a lot of mistakes :P

that said, i'm still grateful for you taking the time to look at it and commenting on it :) maybe i'll finish the texture when I have the time, but I don't expect it to be soon...
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Get it into a game engine so it can properly be displayed.
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did, but the normals maps didn't come out right:

viewgrabfinal.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Any kind of color will help you, currently it's all too white.
    colourover.jpg
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks (dank u wel :P ) i'll look into it when i get some spare time to work on it :) at the moment i'm completely slammed with school work... if I do eventually edit it, I would want it to be an actual finish of the concept, not just a quick edit. i'm sure you understand that :)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    MaVCArt wrote: »
    hi guys, I guess i should post my entry for the eat3D challenge "old & damaged", thoughts I could get some comments, as apparently i'm not getting any on the site in question...

yeah.. same with me. lol.

i liked your entry. the realtime view in max came out very well, but the engine shot (which i guess is the one that counts for the contest) is very plain, and you lose a lot of the color, as well as the normal mapped detail due to the shot being from an unlit mode.

as far as crits go, i think it would really benefit from an AO pass from your entire set, not just the bake (i.e. shadowing from the wires and pipes), as well as a quick fake ao from some of the normal info that does not show very well without lighting (the cracks on the right hand side). when i was doing my textures for the contest, i tried to make them look almost like the final result without the AO.. then the AO just enhanced it.

also i took notice of your normal map (the image on eat3d). it looks like you overlayed the AO on top of the normal.. any reason why? i think ive seen that done once before but never really tried it. how do those results compare against just a regular leveled normal?

they are posting up results today :D so im really excited for that. good job on finishing and gl to ya.