Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Arantiri the Last Spellsword

This guy was hunted and persecuted but he never gave up. Last surviving spellword in a kingdom that...outlaws magic? I dunno. If you can see him as a 3d model in a video game that's good. If not, tell me why. Thanks for looking!

Replies

• KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Reminds me of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Is this character supposed to be a protagonist or antagonist? His body language (hunched over and ready to attack) and lack of eyebrows in which to convey emotion tells me he's an antagonist.

Because you have orthographic views (although not in a neutral position), I could easily see this character translated into a 3D model. If you plan on modeling and rigging this character I'd recommend drawing the orthographics of him in a more upright or neutral position. This will make the rigging process much easier for you or whoever is going to be doing the rigging.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    reminds me more of Conan
  • isso09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shad0wForce: Thanks for the reply! He is more of an evil protagonist, I think. Since it wasn't going to be modeled I was trying to put in a little more personality into his pose, while showcasing my ability to do orthos as part of my portfolio. Do you think the fact that he is not in a neutral position will cost me points in the eyes of potential employers?

P442: Yeah I could see him being conanesque.
  • isso09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the illustration WIP. If any of you have suggestions, I would be glad to put them in, since I've still got a long way to go with this guy. Thank you!
    Illus1.jpg
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love the scrolls and the lightning
  • murph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great pose!!! at first i thought he was jumping in the air, though-- i would try to ground him on those rocks a little. just making them read a little better would probably do the trick.

really great work!
  • isso09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone! Here's an update! I took out the lightning and tatoos because I'm gonna put them in at the very end. But yeah just some progress on rendering. Let me know what you think!
    Illus2.jpg
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    isso09 wrote: »
    Shad0wForce: Thanks for the reply! He is more of an evil protagonist, I think. Since it wasn't going to be modeled I was trying to put in a little more personality into his pose, while showcasing my ability to do orthos as part of my portfolio. Do you think the fact that he is not in a neutral position will cost me points in the eyes of potential employers?

I don't think it would dock you any "points" as far as I know, but it wouldn't hurt to make a seperate ortho with the character in a neutral position. The action-posed ortho is clean and interesting and can be a good way to display the character concept, but if you were handing a character ortho over to a modeler it would be much easier for them to work with if the character was drawn in a neutral position. The neutral position is important because a character model needs to be in that pose in order to make the rigging process easier. :)
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8