Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alien Head

Hi there,
been working on this alien head for the past few days. Started as a sketch I decided to make it a realtime model.

So.. this is my first complete head / bust model :D . It was a really great thing to do and I learned a lot while modeling and texturing.

Here are some shots taken in Marmoset Toolbag:

alien_cu3.jpg
alien_cu1.jpg
alien_cu5.jpg
screenshot1.jpg
screenshot4.jpg

Cheers!

Replies

• haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Cool head.

Is his eye ball supposed to be that faceted in the close up shot? The rest of him looks pretty dense so I was surprised to see that the eye ball didn't get more polygons.

There's a darkness to his upper face that makes me think there's some kind of shading problem, or maybe that's the intention of the texture?

Great work, especially for a first try :).
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    is that a detail normal map on top or an insane texture res ? The mesh is a bit uselessly dense imo but i like it overall
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    The face looks flat for how many polys you have, especially from the side view.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agreed with the others, the mesh is extremely dense for the amount of detail displayed in your silhouette. also just out of curiosity, what texture size is this thing using because to get the normals to look that nice so close up its gotta be pretty huge. that said he looks pretty cool and for a first attempt its definatly something to be proud of.
  • Bumper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumper polycounter lvl 9
    I got that once but she had to go back to Canada.

But seriously, nice model!
  • mr.sin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @haikai: thanks, yeah the eyes turned out to be too low poly... think I'm gonna fix that. And yes, it was supposed to be that faceted but in the end I don't like it that much.

the darkness comes from the lightning that's mostly behind. I can assure you there are no shading issues on the model ;D.

@Noors: It's a detail map, yes ^^. I thought I should do some more polys since I'm not sure yet if I'm going to animate it and, because I havent done any facial animations yet, how much polys I need to do this without ugly distortions.

@woogity: Thanks :) it's one 2k texture and a detail normal map to create those small details.

@Bumper: haha xD thanks!

@itismario: thank you, that's what I wanted him to have :).

So... I guess I should pay more attention to the polycount next time ;D. Right now it has 3911 polys.

Thanks again and cheers!