Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New to everything- take a look

Well I just joined this site and I am new to the whole modeling/ texturing aspect of things. I've only been using maya about a month now. So I made this building. Applied some simple textures and tossed a bump map on it. I haven't jumped in with the specular maps or anything else not really sure how to go about it. Feel free to critique or mention things that would help. The more knowledge I get the better.

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome bglopresti

Not bad for only being a month in. Some critique for ya:

Tone down that bump!!! damn that is strong haha. I used to do the same thing when I was starting out though.

Also, showing wireframes can help us critique your modeling.

Your color texture isn't too bad. Everything looks like its the right size...bricks arent too big, etc...

Keep practicing and keep asking for all the critique you can get, and look at other peoples work here too. good luck.
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    What can really make good work, is the details. Roofs aren't just tiled shingles, they have "border" shingles that run on the corners of the roofs. Houses aren't just bricks on bricks on bricks, usually they have some kind of concrete foundation at the bottom, etc.

References are key here.

Keep it up :thumbup:
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey polycounter lvl 11
    Welcome bg! This looks great for your first month! Brings me back to my first modeling class in college. I agree with what's been said, putting in small details like trim and corner bricks would really add a lot to it :)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    the roof tiles definately need rotated. They should look like they are layered bottom to top.
    Yours go sideways, upside down,etc..

Good start though. I'd say on stuff as low poly as that you're gonna get much better looks with no bump maps at all (see the mobile games thread at top of forums)