Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Futuristic Prison Scene

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Jarod1872 polycounter lvl 10
Work in progress.
Trying to do a whole scene using as few textures as possible. With the exception of the hologram on the console and the front of the...cell...thing, the whole scene was done with two tiling 1024x1024 textures, with spec, normals, and emmisive maps. I know it's not done quite yet, but still looking for new ways to improve it, so all critiques welcome.

PrisonWiP05.jpg

Replies

• Ampaist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks pretty good so far. reminds me of half-life with the pods. i would improve the lighting. good lighting is key. i think the blue in the background is abit strong
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like a cool idea. Right now your lighting is killing this for me. Everything feels washed out. The dark blue in the background doesn't look very good to me. I would suggest defining some light sources, and putting lights in those areas. Right now you have a few things that have a white glow to them, but don't emit any light. Having light come from the hologram would be nice too. Maybe having a very strong light source underneath the scene (like a reactor core or something would be neat.)

It would be cool if you could show us the textures you are using.

The cylinder shape underneath the hologram/computer has stretched uvs. Probably because you don't have enough geometry to make them scale well, try adding a vertical loop to and it should straighten that out.
  • Mark Dygert
  • Jarod1872
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarod1872 polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the good feedback. I'm definitely still working to get the lighting up to an acceptable place. I redid most of the lighting in the scene to find better color balance, as well as took gsokol suggestion and added a light coming up from below. I think it definitely helps things pop a little better. I also redid the pillar underneath, since it was actually a placeholder model that I didn't realize I'd never fixed up, haha. Still working on the cell/coffin, I'm still not happy with it, specifically how the screen intersects so harshly with the coffin itself, as well as the lightmap issues I'm having in the corner. I'll post textures next chance I get. Thanks for all the feedback, I'm having a beast of a time getting this piece finished up.

PrisonWiP08.jpg