Home Technical Talk

3DS Max 2011

Ok, well I'm new here so forgive me if this is the wrong area.

I have the student version of 3DS Max Autodesk. I'm not very experienced at all using software that you all seem to use on a daily basis.

I would like to save a file that I made, it's a hat for TF2. However it only saves the files as *.max

I would like to know if someone could please help me learn to save or export something into the correct format to put it in Team Fortress (to test).

If I should be using a different software to learn on, please recommend, just keep my wallet in mind.

Thanks a lot, I look forward to learning and eventually contributing to this community.

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    I don't have any experience using the Source engine, so I don't know what file type meshes need to be exported as, but if you are using "Save" or "Save As" in max, it will only save .max files. In order to get other file types you need to use "File>Export/Export Selected" and then Max will give you a whole list of different filetypes you can export as. Hope that is what you were looking for.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Google and the forum search page are your friends! Also take the time to name your thread! the current title says nothing about your question, non descriptive title tend to cause people to ignore threads.

Tutorial:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71741
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You'll need a SMD export plug-in for 3dsmax popular one is created by Wunderboy.
    You export to .smd meshes and animations then use a .qc file and a compile program to convert them to file formats that source understands. I like to use GUIStudioMDL which is also written by Wunderboy.

You'll want to hit the valve wiki and read up on their tutorials and help files about the different settings.