Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

marino - game art thread

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Oniram polycounter lvl 17
Hey everyone. i figured that its time to start up a thread here, instead of creating countless threads for individual pieces. im nearing that time of portfolio for school so i may as well get ready to put up work for critique. :D let me open with this first piece.

**Most Recent**
SciRen02-sm.jpg

Eat3d Challenge #1 - Old & Damaged

This challenged started back in september, and went through until october 31st. Im glad to have finally finished this piece, as it is the first i have actually completed for a challenge.

Specs of the challenge were:
2k triangle limit.
all texture passes could be no larger than 2048.

Though i have completed this to the specs of the challenge, ill probably go ahead and continue with it some more. I left myself enough UV space to put a sign and chain.. so ill have it saying "keep out" with a chain wrapped around the door or something. and i may go back and actually add the geometry for the door to give it some depth.

here's the images. (LARGE)

NEW:
OlDamageFinal-sm.jpg

OLD:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v666/Oniram/models/finalshot_0.jpg

OlDamage-texture-sm.jpg

OlDamage-Wire.jpg

udk_sheet_1.jpg

Replies

• raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    very cool! Nice job on finishing!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks raul. i was really excited to finally be finished with this. :D
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Oniram,
    That turned out great! I'm glad to see that you went with more than just a pillar for the Eat3D challenge. Awesome job man!
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Looks cool, very Eat3D-like! I have a slight Gears of war feeling too.

But I don't know if that was a key line for the challenge but I find it really noisy. You can always make old&demolished stuff that are less violent to the eye and look good.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @shinobix: thx. yeah, i was glad to see that they allowed the participants to stray away from the original design.

@ParoXum: thank you. gears was partially what inspired this. basically for the challenge there werent too many guidelines.. just Old & Damaged. as long as it followed the limits for triangles and textures, they were ok with it. i (sort of?) intentionally made mine a bit noisy as you describe it because of the fact that i did want it to be more gears like, which has mostly to do with the postprocessing in unreal (i used the new image grain, so im sure that adds some), as well as enhancing my normals to really pop out the textures. i was feeling more grunge with this than anything, but i see where you're coming from as far as a less violent look.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's a bit of an update on this. i was getting some critiques on how the lighting was too harsh and how the spec was a bit "wet" looking. so here's an update. maybe still needs a bit more lighting work but i dont think ill touch it too much more.

OlDamageFinal-sm.jpg
  • Rico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah! Definitely dig this one a whole lot more than your previous render.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    A bit late to comment on this, but the fence/wire is far too large in comparison to the bricks and the container.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doing some modular practice. did a quick 45 minute normal map with nDo only. separated into 6 (or more depending on how its cut) difference pieces. just trying to find a neat way to get some pieces that can be brought into unreal and tile all over. :D

Modular.jpg

TextureSheet.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just finished this up today.

These are 2 different variants of brick that will be blended together using the entropy method created by Ryan Smith.

On the left, standard version. On the right, the damaged version that will be used to vertex blend on the normal one to break up tiling. Probably going to do this method for all brick/stone that ill be doing.

VBrick.jpg

Maps-1.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also: here are some shots of the level currently being worked on. mostly Mass Effect and Star Wars inspired. This is for a final demo project at school, that I and 6 other friends are working on. We are aiming to make a gears of war type of game, as far as gameplay goes, but blend in two worlds of scifi and steampunk. This is the result so far for the scifi portion of the level. mostly just blockout right now, still some asset creation has to be done to make it feel more "lively."

shift01.jpg

shift02.jpg

shift03.jpg

and here are some of the individual assets i worked on.

FloorTexture.jpg

FloorTile.jpg

FloorTexture.jpg

Stairs2.jpg

Wall.jpg

We started planning for this sometime around the summer of 2010, and we "officially" began around september. we have until July to finish, which hopefully will be enough time. we keep shaving off things to make it easier on time, so we'll see.
  • Oniram
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    looks really good :)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx simon.

here's some more tileables. :D ill get around to texturing them eventually. lol.

EDIT: just realized that posting big images enough to not downsize is really obnoxious.. so here's everything again.. in 1 image this time. :D

TextureSheet.jpg
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    you have some really great work in here, pretty inspiring for my environment piece. keep it up
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks mike. im putting some of the environment stuff on hold for now. currently im working on a gun for the Game-Artist.net cyberpunk firearm speed modeling challenge, though it will be used for the same project as the environment pieces.. kinda killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Oh wow, that environment is breath taking. I seriously just want to walk around in that. Thanks for sharing. Good morning inspiration before I start my work day :) It also reminds me of a Brink tech demo I saw on their site a few months ago.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. :D that entire level is getting scrapped and redone tho. XD it will maintain the same style tho, we just want to vary up the layout a bit more. mostly inspired by brink and mass effect 2. :D
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so here's something im working on for the Game-Artist.net speed modeling challenge. just got the high poly finished up.. gonna go ahead and get started on the lp now.

HiSheet-sm.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just finished up the low poly and bakes a few days ago. :D will begin texturing it within the week.

SciRen01-sm.jpg

SciRen02-sm.jpg

SciRen03-sm.jpg

some general critique would be appreciated on this one. :D
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just messin around with hardware tessellation from udk march. its really awesome.

grass.jpg

unfortunately all of those zbrush textures i did arent going to be used for the project i was working on.. as we basically scrapped 80% of the art & programming combined due to lack of effort from some people. and that entire level ive got up there is being redone at the moment.. so more to come on that later.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so just thought id post something on here. still workin on that sci fi game, and here is the quick level i created to test the coding i do.

TestLevel.jpg
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    is this for your game project class? looks awesome.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    If you are a student, I am very very impressed with you!! If you are a working professional, I'm also very impressed! Great art here.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tadao: yea this is just my test level for that class. all the programming im doing for the game i test in this map, because the actual map is about (taking a huge shot in the dark here) 20x bigger than the one in that screenshot.

@Pope Adam: thanks :D i am a student. ill be graduating from my school in september.. :D so for now im working on my portfolio AND this scifi project