Home Artists Looking For Work

How much is your art worth?

Effectively a group of us are starting work on a game. We have all the programmers in the world but are lacking good artists.
I just wanted to get a ball park figure on what we'd be paying if we were to do a pay-per-model system. Most of the work would be vehicles (space craft) with a range of sizes.

We'd expect a close to if not industry standard

Any advice would be great.

Regards
Ben

Replies

• glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    You might want to include technical specs, more details explaining the style and size of the assets you're wanting, and any engine-specific pipelines you might need the work to fit into, to get any worthwhile numbers to look at :)
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    And if you're not well versed in art specs, a screenshot of a comparable game w/ the art you're looking to have made could help.
  • Draffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the engine is still in production so not entirely sure what it will be able to handle but i'd expect it to be able to deal with at least 20k per ship. The models would need to be exportable in Collada format. If we do our LOD efficiently we could probably handle a lot more tri's.

Diffuse, normal, spec and AO maps included (though AO possibly combined with the diffuse).

Ship sizes ranging from an x-wing to bigger than a star destroyer (its not a star wars game i'm just using those scales as an example).

That help give an idea?
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    as gamedev says you can post some screenshots of any game with spaceships with a similar amount of detail of the ones that you want for your project. This is the best way for artist to calculate the amonunt of time/money that it can take.