Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Apocalyptic Corn Field Environment

Replies

• RU1NOUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome work mate, really like it :)
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    It was baked in Xnormal. I made the low poly from scratch and by taking off the turbosmooth and re-adjusting the mesh. It's unfortunately about 10k tris, which is mainly on the wheels! I should try and get it down after hand-in!

Had to do a lot of cleanup of the normals/AO map in Photoshop too. The thing that makes it look quite crisp is the cavity map generated from the normals. It's not set to full opacity but it is quite visible.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys, here's the final textured version of the tractor. I'm not entirely happy with the presentation of this shot (I don't think the specular is being shown particularly well) but here it is:

tractor_6.jpg

Need to texture the corn and do some presentation shots next.
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    oh man, what a tractor !
    Such a shame, to be honest, that it's just a "simple" prop in this huuuuge scenery. Would deserve it's own nice and warm place wiht zombie chickens and undead farmer boys
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Looks great. Now let's see what it looks like in your scene.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    very clean bake!
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    i didnt read through all the answers so maybe this was mentioned already.

for my the red house is distracting. the read is a bit to saturated i think and the black wood lines too strong. also the white windows are clashing a bit. I know its probably realistic to have white windows I am more in favor of harmonizing it a bit since its stealing focus a bit in the composition i think.

also..

you mentioned this is your first real attempt at highpoly modeling the tractor. really kickass dude. I LIKES
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Hey dude, what's going on, you gotta update this. DON'T LOSE STEAM! lol
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Jocose - It's the last week of assignments and I've been very busy getting everything handed in and moving back home for Christmas. I'll post the final hand-in screenshots here, and this might be the last I work on this environment. I want to work on more environments over the Christmas holidays, so I have enough to put a portfolio together.

I'm not happy with the shadows in this scene. The tractor is almost completely black and isn't being shown very well. However, I have learnt so much about UDK and I'm so excited for my next project. Will have a thread up over Christmas, hopefully!

I'm hoping for a high mark for this scene, I've put so much into it! But regardless, it has been a great experience and you guys have REALLY helped me get it to this level. Thanks everybody. You have got me from this:

environment_test5.jpg

To this:

final_beauty1.jpg

final_beauty2.jpg

Construction shots:

final_construction.jpg
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Great work, turned out very nice.

For what it's worth the barn and silo textures are by far the weakest part of the image. If you were to put more time into the image I would invest it there. Tone down the amount of black in the textures. Make them read more simply and the overall image will be better for it.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Good job man! You could break up some of the texture work around... maybe put some decals on the barn of weared out paint that used to read something... maybe some posters about recruiting people for the defense of earth... i dunno... this is looking great tho. oh yea! your fence is still getting lost.. it looks bland. you should maybe play with the spec and the normals to make them stand out enough.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome work! This came a long way and it shows how much love you put into this. You better get an A.

I agree with everyone else on the barn texture. It seems very stretched.
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    I really like this project, you definitely have an eye for what looks good.