Home Technical Talk

Maya 2011 UV problem

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Torch interpolator
Hi all, have had a problem at work and wanted to post this during the week but completely forgot (wanted to mention this now so hopefully I can find a fix when I come back to work tomorrow.) Unfortunately I haven't got a screenshot of the issue (as I said it happened at work,) so I'll try explain as best I can.

I've uv'd half of a head in Maya and want to use the unfold function to minimise UV distortion before mirroring over to the other side. When I click unfold and drag to the right, it seems to snap all the UV's into one center line, or make them disappear completely. I'm not sure whether the UV's on the model could have some how 'corrupted'? I've had this issue in the past but never been able to fix it, I think I just re-uv'd the model! Anyway, any help would be much appreciated, thanks :)

Replies

• kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    I'm supposing your are using the "Smooth UVs" tool to unfold?

Usually when your results just disappear or turn out fubar it's because your mesh has some errors. Use the Mesh -> Cleanup or whatever other methods you prefer to check for inconsistencies in your mesh. Good luck.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Also realized that one reason could be that you haven't cut your UV-shell in a manner which Maya can handle unwrapping. But I'm guessing you already know about this.
  • Treacharous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would suggest mirroring your geometry over first then starting your UV's, if that is indeed what you meant when you said mirroring. Also what mapping technique are you using? Planar , auto? ect....try using another mapping technique if your current one is not working. Another thing is are you trying to unfold the whole chunk at once, if you are you can grab smaller chunks of UVs and unfold .