Home Technical Talk

Maya Renders 'Washed Out'....

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Billz polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys,

I'm having a problem with my Maya renders. I just finished animating a scene in maya of a fighter plane taking off from a bunker and everything looks good in my Maya default viewport. As soon as I hit render current fram, my scene looks as if tho there is a light in the scene washing everything out. I have disabled Maya default lights, and all the lights that would be affecting my scene in the outliner are disabled. I did my models in 3ds Max, and brought them into maya so I'm not sure if theres an issue with that. (the materials I used were standard max mental ray). Any ideas on what the problem is?

* The glowing spheres do not affect the light in the scene, they are a post effect applied to the material in Maya.**

no lights
probf.jpg

render of scene with no lights
probrender.jpg

1 point light
problight.jpg

render of scene with 1 point light
problightrender.jpg

Replies

• jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    Any ambient lights in the scene? Or perhaps your shaders have the ambient value cranked way up? Either of those would give a similar effect. Also, this can be frustrating, but I prefer to ignore the Maya viewport for rendering and just use the Render View. IPR can help for quick feedback.
  • Treacharous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It doesnt look like a lighting issue, it looks like a material issue to me. I would do some testing with the maya materials instead of importing the max materials and see if that helps any.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    i agree with Trecharous.

assign everything with the default lambert material, delete all other materials and shading groups, re-enable the default lighting and see what you get.

before you do that though, go ahead into hypershade, select the material you are using for the glowing orbs, and go to File>Select objects with material.... assign these to their own display layer or put them into a new selection set. This way you have them all readily available for selection.

rebuild your lighting with the default lambert shader, etc. then work with MR mia_materials.