Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Life Springs by Team Exile - level prototype (Image Heavy)

Hi everyone,

This is a WIP prototype level that our team of 7 has been working on with the mentoring of members from SOE. The premise was to create a level that would fit within the Free Realms style, with a sci-fi twist added to it.

Long background story short, a group of exiles crash land on a desolate planet, and in the process frees water thats been trapped just under the surface. This in turn creates a waterfall and a lush oasis for the exiles to live in and they cannibalize the ship in order to construct a new community for themselves. They also discover the underground cave that had contained the water, and they have converted that into a mining facility.

So far we have completed node one out of 3, and currently working on node 2 which is the cave that used to contain the water. Because we're going for the same style as Free Realms, we aren't using any normal maps, very limited spec, and handpainted textures.

We're planning to have the nose of the crashed ship protruding into the cave for Node 3 and we're currently working on props for that.
Team Exile:

Lead: Julio Juarez
Co-Lead: Ryan Horn (poster)
Daniel Oien
Daniel Sams
Pedro Flores
German Benitez
Christine Vila

Feedback is very welcome and encouraged. Thank you!:)

Scene Concepts for Node 1:Concepts_COMP.jpg

Asset Concepts for Node 1:
Concepts_COMP2.jpg

Screenshot Set 1 for Node 1:
Screenshots_3.jpg

Screenshot Set 2 for Node 1:
Screenshots_2.jpg

Screenshot Set 3 for Node 1:
Screenshots_1.jpg

Assorted Assets for Node 1:
Assets_COMP.jpg

Node 2:
WIP Screenshots Node 2:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Replies

• Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Looks nice, but way off from the concept. Your sketches are green and yellow/brown while the actual work is lots of purple and blue with just a bit of brown. Also don't see any of the rings on the tree entrances in a concept. The sketches' architecture seemed closer to nature while the current screenshots show a lot more technology/mechanical things.
  • ilion
    I really like the changes you guys made to your project from last quarter, and I definitely think the color changes were pretty dang well done.

Can't wait to see this project finished!
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    good god that is a lot of purple
  • achillesian
    one of the cones in my eyes just cracked
  • Clinton
    The original concepts are more green/brown, natural world colors while it seems you guys have sort of gone to a more purple/pink.

The purple theme reminds me a lot like the Draenei race in Wow. they have very heavy pallet of purple, pinks and blues but they are also balanced with browns, yellows and grays.

if you are going to continue with the purple colors, i suggest as a point of reference you take a look at how Blizzard balance these colors so they don't overpower the player, and half blind them.
  • JRyanH
    Very true about the concepts Snader. We ended up changing the color pallet about halfway through the first node to get a more otherworldly feel, and we adapted as we went based on feedback from SOE, which is why some parts digressed from the original wide concept. We implemented more techy things into the environment to further illustrate the exiles cannibalizing the ship to create their new home, although we stuck more to the individual asset concepts, or at least tried to.