Home Technical Talk

New Video Card Issues and Maya

So my trusty ol 8800 gts randomly died the other day. At first it would run for awhile and then my monitors would turn off while the computer would still run. Then it got to the point where it would just not turn on the monitors from the very begining and give me the ol "one long two short" beeps (video issue).

So anyway I went to Fry's...

Got a Nvidea Geforce gt 240 1gb... but I didn't do my research before hand so when I got home I found crap reviews but worst of all when I went into Maya I got this error message when I tried to go into high quality rendering mode:

// Warning: High Quality Rendering mode is not supported by the graphics card. Switching to default rendering mode

So I sat down did some research and went back to Fry's and got a GeForce GTS 250 512mb. Which from everything I read on Tom's hardware and a few other lists was superior to my old 8800 by far
Upon installing and opening Maya and trying again to go into High quality rendering mode the same darn warning appeared.

// Warning: High Quality Rendering mode is not supported by the graphics card. Switching to default rendering mode

........... help :'(

Has anyone had this message before and know of any solutions? Do I need yet another card? Do I need to do some sort of overclocking? My 8800 did this without breaking a sweat.

Replies