Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Tech Girl

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys,

Here's the progress I've made so far on my latest character project. I'm going for a high detail, next gen style scientist/techie girl with two clothing variations. I'm planning on taking her into a game engine when I'm done. (Probably Unity.)

Here's a concept I did a while back... her legs are wonky, but it gets the idea across.
prodigy_p1.jpg

Here are some simple color/silhouettes of some potential variations: (I'm using the ones wearing glasses.)
Iris_CivyDesigns01.jpg
Iris_AltDesigns01.jpg

At the moment finishing up the base body sculpt... here's a [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QF-oVJ8iTE"]timelapse[/ame] of me working so far.

Replies

• Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working on her head... I'm thinking I'm nearly done with the facial features. Ears (obviously) still need to be worked out. I'll probably finesse the jawline and neck a little bit in the morning when everything looks fresh.

I'm still not exactly sure what kind of hairstyle I want to give her... any suggestions?

IrisWIP01.png
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the nose needs to be more feminine, thus smaller, thinner and less pointed, maybe turned up a bit more, the brow and bridge of the nose seem to go into a flat area, where it should continue to stick out more, the brow should stick out a bit more I think, especially over the eyelids more as the brow and eyelids have morphed a bit too much, the chin could probably do with sticking forward a bit more, not coming forward more, but more definition below the lip and then into the chin, the philtrum too should come out more and the lips come out a bit less I think, the lower lip should point down more instead of up, look at some side reference like this one: here
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice Ihazard! Finished the ears and reworked a lot of the finer facial proportions, but especially the eyes and mouth.
    IrisWIP02.png

I'm still not sure what hairstyle I'm going to go with, so I sketched out a some variations that are in the vein of what I'm thinking. At the moment I'm kind of liking the one with the ponytail. Any opinions?
    IrisWIP03.png
    IrisWIP04.png
    IrisWIP05.png
    IrisWIP06.png
    IrisWIP07.png
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, I have another late night update. I finished the girl and her underclothes (the idea behind this being that she belongs to an RPG where the player can swap out armor/clothes, so this is her "naked" state.)

I'd really appreciate some critiques on the anatomy, etc...

(Yes, I realize the head/body don't quite line up in the shoulder department; I'll merge them later.)

IrisWIP08.png
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got a little distracted over Halloween (Killing zombies on Minecraft and Left 4 Dead 2). But I'm back to work now and I've started adding in the little "facial accessories" like the earrings, nose-ring, ear piece, and then the arm implant. Also, I think I settled on a hairstyle. Let me know what you guys think!

IrisWIP10.png

IrisWIP09.png
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't had fantastic amounts of time this week, but I have made some progress so I thought I'd post a quick update. I still need to work on shoes, belt/belt-buckle and glasses. I'm pretty happy with what I've got so far, but I'd really appreciate any C&C.

IrisWIP11.png
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i've never seen zspheres used for hair like that. that's cool.
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I started my retopo and the body is pretty much done. Also I started putting in planes for the hair, but I'll have to play around with those a bit, yet.

C&C much appreciated.

iris_body_topo.png

iris_face_hands_topo.png
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woohoo, I finally got some time to work on this character again. I finished my low poly (with the exception of the hair planes.) I will now be moving on to unwrapping and finishing the hair. C&C appreciated.

IrisWIP12.png
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I think you can toss quite a few polies from the legs and shoes, and use some of those to smooth out the shoulders.
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've finally had some time to work on this character again. :P It has been way too long! I'm going to do my best to finish her up in the next week or two.

Here are the base tones for her face... I still need to add some imperfections and desaturate the whole thing a bit. I'll do that once I bake down the vertex map to my low poly.

IrisWIP13.png
  • Shaffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't see you had this thread up

It's looking good, I would tone down the wrinkles on the clothing. They are all too uniform, you might want to work some bigger volumes/ and get some asymmetry unless you are looking for symmetry on this model.

The hands on the low poly looks a little wacky, thumb placement/wrist to hand proportions wrong, check the proportions with reference. Sometimes I just take a screen shot of my sculpt into PS and overlay an acceptable reference pic on top to see how far off I am.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Are you using any particular reference for the face? It's decently made, but kind of lacking any particular appeal to me.

I also agree with the shirt being too wrinkly. It looks like she left it in the washer overnight instead of drying it right away.

The shoes are kind of weird with the circular tops. Maybe that's how they do it in the future or something, but I think there's a reason why the tops of most real shoes are fitted a certain way.

Overall the low poly mesh looks pretty good. Hopefully you can bring out some more details with the textures.
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, it's spring break and I've finally had some time (especially since Dominance War is continually delayed... grrr) to work on this character again. My goal is to finish it before DWV starts, but we'll see. I've started work on textures and would appreciate any feedback. (Hair planes are a work in progress... I'm taking a break from them for now 'cause they're driving me crazy. Also, I'll be blending out the seam on her shirt later.)

@ Shaffer - The pants are mirrored, but the shirt is not. I'll be looking into the wrinkles, though. I certainly don't want her to end up looking perfectly symmetrical.

@ Haikai - I didn't have any one particular person I was going for. I used an amalgam of pictures.
    I'll experiment with smoothing out the wrinkles a bit.
    I've revisited the shoes. I totally scrapped what I had before and started over. :P

Flat textures screencapped from Modo:
    iristexturewip01.jpg