Home Technical Talk

5 more Blender questions

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
1. Sometimes in a scene the camera stops when i am trying to zoom in, after a while you can go on forever without
getting any more zoomed in.

2. Is it anyway to make the other window that is always open to disapear in blender ?

3. Why does Blender always switch back to when i rotate after i have set an angle thats correct in ortho ? I know that there is a setting in the preferences that tells blender to stay in ortho soon as you go tho the side,top view but i dont understand why blender does this.

4. is it only possible to assign texture while in edit mode ? , When i leave the edit mode the buttons dissapear.

5. every time i use Project painting (when Blender saves an screenshot that you can paint on in photoshop) , Blender locks iteself, this happens after i have painted on seperate layer in photoshop and press "apply" in Blender, right
there it locks, am i doing something wrong ?

Replies

• Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    1: Your view focus is probably off. You zoomed really far in, but the point you zoomed to is not the face/edge/vertex/element you think you have in focus. To avoid this, select whatever you want to zoom to and press the comma on the numpad to focus view on selection.

2: If you're on windows, then no. On linux you don't see it. No idea what the logic behind this is (developer reasons?). There was some mention to have the console window removed and integrated inside Blender for 2.5, but don't quote me on this one.

3: I don't completelly understand this one. Do elaborate a bit more. A rough guesstimate: enable and disable the auto-perspective option in the user preferences if any of these options behave like you wish.

4: Ah the material/shading system. You can assign textures to the mesh via the Uv/Image editor only when in edit mode. But this is some half-something method. The proper way is to assign the texture via the properties window. You can still edit them and paint on them via the image editor, even if assigned this way.

5: Sounds like a bug. The best way to have it fixed is to report it. If you're using 2.5 there's Help -> Report a bug.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Lamoot wrote: »
    1: Your view focus is probably off. You zoomed really far in, but the point you zoomed to is not the face/edge/vertex/element you think you have in focus. To avoid this, select whatever you want to zoom to and press the comma on the numpad to focus view on selection.

2: If you're on windows, then no. On linux you don't see it. No idea what the logic behind this is (developer reasons?). There was some mention to have the console window removed and integrated inside Blender for 2.5, but don't quote me on this one.

3: I don't completelly understand this one. Do elaborate a bit more. A rough guesstimate: enable and disable the auto-perspective option in the user preferences if any of these options behave like you wish.

4: Ah the material/shading system. You can assign textures to the mesh via the Uv/Image editor only when in edit mode. But this is some half-something method. The proper way is to assign the texture via the properties window. You can still edit them and paint on them via the image editor, even if assigned this way.

5: Sounds like a bug. The best way to have it fixed is to report it. If you're using 2.5 there's Help -> Report a bug.

1. Thanks man will try that !
    2. that sucks !
    3. okay i will dig into this.
    4. Sorry i wrote wrong here, What i mean is that right now i can ONLY assign texture while in edit mode, which is kind of strange. if i leave the editmode the "assign button" in the material
    tab go away.
    5. sure will do.
    okay here comes more question :

16. Is it possible to select an element in Blender like in max ?.

17 how do you detach faces from an object (so it becomes its own object)

18 it happends to me very often that objects loose their textures?, I have attached the texture throught the uv
    editor also.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    16. It doesn't work like in Max, but you can press Ctrl-L to extend a selection to it's entire element.

17. Separate. The hotkey is P.

18. I haven't had this problem in a while, but I think the proper method is to have textures assigned to materials, with those assigned to objects, and with Textured viewport shading on. Maybe it's helping a lot that I use GLSL in the viewport instead of Multitexture. If you're already doing that then I'm not sure what the problem is.
  • Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    16: There are two ways to do this. Select a vertex/edge/face and press ctrl+L to select all the mesh elements connected to your current selection. Or, hover your mouse over whichever element you wish to select and press L (mouse to aim, L for "linked"). In addition, if you are in face selection mode and you have UV seams, it will only select faces that are a part of the same UV island when using L.

17: As Snowfly mentioned, press P to detach the selection and make it a separate object. If you press Y the selection will be detached but it won't become a separate object.

18: No idea here, you're not providing enough information here. Are the textures generated in Blender or are they external image files? When do the textures disappear, when you open the file again, or during working on the file? The more you describe the procedure and hte problem the easier it is for us to help.