Home General Discussion

Unfold3D Generation 7

Hi everybody,

I would like to introduce Polygonal Design corporation, where I work, and particularly the software UNFOLD3D.
Our company is based for years in Marseille, south of France. Polygonal Design is the maker of UNFOLD3D, UV map generator software UNFOLD3D.

You can get UNFOLD3D as a one computer license, or a floating license (LAN). It allows you to automatically unfold meshes and to work on UV maps, with lots of smart editing features. The new generation 7 of UNFOLD3D, which comes with brand new ISOMAP unwrapping algorithm, is now available, so this is an inivitation for you to discover all of new improvements on website: unfold3d/Generation 7

And more than this, you will find here ( Tutorial ) a new tutorial showing to you how to begin with UNFOLD3D V7.
The mesh used in this video can be download here (right click->save as): moufle.obj

Any questions ? My pleasure to answer, as I was the one who did this new tutorial

www.unfold3d.com

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Amazing!! I have a question,

how is it different from XSI Texture editor?

If you unwrap anything in UNFOLD3D are you likely to have the same map in the Zbrush?

If you MARkey select the edges would you be able to create the islands of it according to your understanding of UVs? (I think its already answered in the tutorial but the person did not deteched the parts)
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Great news. I use unfold3d for pretty much all my personal pieces, but the version I have is like 100years old.

It's always great to get UVS started off, I'll definitely be getting this. The interface is so friendly. :)
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    fantastic software, uv mapping has never been so fun and easy
  • Thierry86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    how is it different from XSI Texture editor?

They are many differences actually. The principal one is the Unfolding algorithm itself, which flatten the model without stretching. There are also very efficient tools for marking edges to be cut, like the “shortest path with live previzualisation”. You have also many tools for editing / optimizing / pinning / copying the UVs after they have being flattened.
    If you unwrap anything in UNFOLD3D are you likely to have the same map in the Zbrush?

You can use the UVmap produced by Unfold3D in zBrush. Usualy artists export the low poly version in Unfold3D, unfold it, then re import it in zBrush, you can then work with subdivided version in zBrush, the lowPolyUV version will work perfectly. Is it correctly answered ?
    If you MARkey select the edges would you be able to create the islands of it according to your understanding of UVs? (I think its already answered in the tutorial but the person did not deteched the parts)
    Sorry but I don't understand your question, could you reformulate it please?

thanks for your interest!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Thierry86 wrote: »
    They are many differences actually. The principal one is the Unfolding algorithm itself, which flatten the model without stretching. There are also very efficient tools for marking edges to be cut, like the “shortest path with live previzualisation”. You have also many tools for editing / optimizing / pinning / copying the UVs after they have being flattened.

You can use the UVmap produced by Unfold3D in zBrush. Usualy artists export the low poly version in Unfold3D, unfold it, then re import it in zBrush, you can then work with subdivided version in zBrush, the lowPolyUV version will work perfectly. Is it correctly answered ?

Sorry but I don't understand your question, could you reformulate it please?

thanks for your interest!

In other words, can you select a group of polies and make an island UV map of it.
    something like this: http://static.creativecrash.com/tutorialimages/307/tutorial5.jpg

Where you can cut and heal the UVs, according to your understanding? I never used this product but since it looks userfriendly, I assume its easier than XSI. Since I am still learning UV subjects in the XSI and maya.

EDIT: Thanks for sharing though, really appreciated.
  • Thierry86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can create as many seams as you want, you can for example separate parts of a character, like doing several islands for each part of it : the hands, the heads, foots...

Have a Look here: unfold3d/Generation 7
    (I forget this link when i posted this :s )
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    My first instinct when I looked at the price was, "whoa, that's a lot of money!"

Then I looked at the video with the main features, and thought, "yeah, if it works as nicely as in those videos, it's totally worth that money!"

I'm a bit afraid of trying the demo. If I find it to be absolutely brilliant I'll probably be €299 poorer by the end of the night..
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    This actually looks much more impressive than your previous versions - more impressive than UVLayout, which I've always preferred over Unfold3d. Put me down for a mac version request. I'd buy it.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    I always liked unfold3d from way back in the day. Unfortunately $420 is insane for a program that can only unwrap uv's. At an internship about 4 years ago I was telling everyone how awesome this program was, and went to look at the price so I could convince my boss to get it. Back then it was even a couple hundred more than that and was shot down before it could even get started.

I guess you guys must be making money, but personally that price tag is insane for something that has such limited use in a pipeline, especially for personal use.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, sometimes we have managers who take a lot of convincing to equip us with the tools we need to get the job done efficiently. Some can be a bit short-sighted. They look at the price tag and you can see their eyes widening a bit when they do the mental equivalent of a horse rearing.

I downloaded the demo, and I'm playing around with it now. I like it a lot. It's much more visually appealing than UVLayout, but the viewports keeps freezing quite frequently. The UI still updates (tooltips pop up, etc), though.

I'm loving the AutoPin feature, that's going to be very handy when tweaking hands (har) and fined details..

Is there a paint selection mode, so I can just paint my selection of points/edges/polys with a brush with an adjustable size?
  • Thierry86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East wrote: »
    Is there a paint selection mode, so I can just paint my selection of points/edges/polys with a brush with an adjustable size?

The painting tool is used for defining density map. Is not a paint tool for painting the texture map itself. Look at our V7 main feature video for more explanation, and more particularly the density map paint system.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    This I understand :) I'm talking about the selection mode of Unfold3D. You can select points one by one. You can marquee select several.

I find it useful to be able to "paint" select. You get both precision, and speed, all at once. Like so, in Maya:

paint_select.gif
  • Thierry86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, you can "paint" to select edge/point/poly (default: hold [shift]+LMB while moving mouse) but size isn't adjustable.
  • Thierry86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everybody,

I would like to present you a new tutorial I made about Unfold3D.
    Let's watch it here: Tutorial: The Pawn

If you have any questions or comments I will be pleased to answer you!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Really great island packing is something I have wanted for a long time... but I feel the example used in the video isn't great. How good is the packing with an organic model say with 5 islands? Do islands rotate to try to maximise space? I assume there is no scaling used in the packing either, right?
  • Thierry86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, Islands rotate to find the best orientation for minimising the wasted space. And also the islands are scaled to adapt to their respecting ratio of the 3D model.
    For example, if you have two islands, and one twice bigger than the other in 3D space, the island will also be twice bigger in uvSpace (the island’s surfaces are used for the computation).
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Excellent thank you. Amazing piece of software you have there, hope you guys get stupid rich from it :)
  • Thierry86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfold3D V7 has a new feature: the density map tool
    Just paint where you want more resolution on UV map.

You can discover how to use this tool in this new tutorial: Tutorial: Density map

• stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    I certainly hope yall have ditched the thumbdrive key crap.
  • Thierry86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone,
    I would like to inform you that a new Unfold3D tutorial is avaible: Optimization Tutorial

And I’d like to inform you about the chance for you to get discount coupon on Unfold3D licence:
    You have another Unfolder software and you would like to get Unfold3D?
    We purchase back your licence before you buy Unfold3D.

Discover this, and other discounts, here: Unfold3D discount page