Home Technical Talk

Diffuse texturing a broken apart UV mapped model

I am very new to modelling and texturing and have been learning 3Ds Max 2011 for a small game collaboration project. I'm starting with some proof of concept pieces to test asset creation techniques and have started with some gravestones for a church yard scene.

I've create a low poly cross (very basic for testing) and the made a higher poly version which had chamfered edges and some additional detailing which I want to bake as a normal map. Since these assets are not going to be more than background scenery we want to keep poly counts low so we can have a lot of gravestones.

After much trial and error I finally got a decent bake. My problem had been poor seams on the hard edges which eventually I resolves by breaking them in the UV map. However since the shape is a cross with hard edges all around this meant the whole object was broken apart in the UV map to get a decent bake.

My issue now is how to approach texturing the diffuse layer. With the items stitched it would be easier to create a dirty stone texture which wraps around the object, however with them broken I can't think of a clean way to do this. Is this an issue which is normally encountered with hard edges objects or am I doing something wrong?

Are there any good techniques for texturing once the faces are all broken apart?

Replies