Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Persian Temple Environment

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
salacious_Crumb polycounter lvl 11
This is the first time I've used UDK. I made the assets by following tutorials (first time using zbrush too) and want to put them all into a scene to use as a portfolio piece. I think the people who set the tutorials were thinking of a Prince of Persia style...?
I'm not really happy with the way it looks. It seems very bland and a bit boring at the moment. The reference picture is fairly uninteresting, so if anyone has some better concept material it is very welcome! :)
And any other suggestions on how to jazz it up a bit are greatly received.

I'm having a bit of a problem with the window grilles, I want the alpha to cast a pattern on the ground, and the pillars don't seem to be casting shadows properly (i think this is because the light is not coming through the windows in the right way).
The material is set to blendAlpha, is this right?

Not sure what to do with the Bowl thing. Should I make it bigger? Having made it I would like to fit in the scene somewhere. I guess it adds some focus to the scene.

All suggestions welcome! I want to finish this piece and move on.

Highres_Screenshot_00004.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00003.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00002.jpg

0000ESCAPEINTERIOR.jpg

Replies

• Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    are the windows based on any refs? the styling on the windows looks very post islamic while the mood of the rest of the temple looks more like pre islamic dynastic persia. same goes for the mosaics on the ridges of the vaults, but you could probably get away with those easier.

right now all your normalmaps look really, we're talking really, weak and it gives a rushed or lazy feel. Pay a lot more attention to matching the refs if you have the time,
    and I would address the physical geometry of the areas i've marked.

Ps. is this actually in iran because i don't recognise it

da2b9b130357d9ea6479fd9128f9c740.png
  • bgoodsell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not bad for a first time use. Here are my three suggestions:
    First, your lights make no sense. They seem to be coming form behind the camera in the first shot instead of the windows from the side. Right now the shadows of your pillars are pointing back toward the far wall instead of the one parallel to the window, like they should if the light is coming from outside.

Secondly, The bowl looks out of place on the floor: id create an inset on your walls and stick them in there. This will give the bowls a sense of purpose and help breakup the identical quality all your walls have.

Finally, look into decal materials. Your scene is way too clean and decals are a quick way you can add dirt or grime (or in this case sand buildup?) to your floor, walls or ceiling. I'd focus on putting them where floor and ceiling objects meet, as it help ease the transition between the floor and walls/pillars.
  • salacious_Crumb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    salacious_Crumb polycounter lvl 11
    @Harry- There was no reference given for the windows, only the one ref picture above. I looked for a Persian pattern for the grilles that I thought wouldn't look too out of place. I don't know much about Islamic/Persian art. I haven't tried to model the ridges of the vault, perhaps I should? I was hoping they would be in shadow and purposefully left them a little vague. I will go back and re-do the Pillar's normal maps. Still learning! I wasn't trying to recreate the reference photo exactly, just using it as inspiration. I don't know if this is Iran because I didn't take the photo, just given it to use when I did an online course. :)

@bgoodsell- Thanks! I am having trouble with the lights. They don't seem to be casting shadows through the windows properly. I am trying to find out why online. Perhaps something to do with the alpha settings? I will look into decal maps, something else I haven't really used yet. And will probably add the bowl/s in some niches or insets in the walls. I thought of adding some torches and making it a night time scene...
  • bgoodsell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Question: are you using lightmass? If so, read through the lightmass page, especially the translucent shadow sharpness. http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Lightmass.html
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    @Harry- There was no reference given for the windows, only the one ref picture above. I looked for a Persian pattern for the grilles that I thought wouldn't look too out of place. I don't know much about Islamic/Persian art. I haven't tried to model the ridges of the vault, perhaps I should? I was hoping they would be in shadow and purposefully left them a little vague. I will go back and re-do the Pillar's normal maps. Still learning! I wasn't trying to recreate the reference photo exactly, just using it as inspiration. I don't know if this is Iran because I didn't take the photo, just given it to use when I did an online course. :)

while you are learning, study and replicate everything you see.
    don't hold back on anything because this is the fastest way to learn, and once you've studied those details in all their intricacy they'll be a part of your memory, and you will be able to draw on them to visualise concepts. This is very important in artistic development