Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: RasielD (aka Paul D.)

Hioh all, my name is Paul, but feel free to call me by my handle ras or rasield. It's actually the name I'm more used to seeing people call me online anyway. I'm still a student, in college, going for my bachelors degree in computer animation. I would have gone for game design, but the closest place to where I live made it too expensive to go there.

I've been a bit of a lurker on here, always watching, but never signing up. What finially drew me over the edge was a mini animation convention that happened at my college. I heard a few of the presenters mention this site, so I figure I might as well finally get in here and hopefully get more opinions on the stuff I've been working on.

For now though, feel free to rip me a new one over the pic dump that follows. It's a veritable mish-mash of stuff from the last year or so that I think might best show what I can do at the moment. If you have any critiques, advice, or anything else, please do tell.

(Sketch of a troll, done while waiting for my bus one day)

trollsketch.jpg

(A class assignment, made using a material that is probably uncommon here, gouache paint.)

The_End_of_Mythology.jpg

(A character bust maquette that was part of a class assignment. First is pre-painting, second is post, with a bit of story that popped in my head.)

FoxColage.jpg

foxbust.jpg

(This one is a model I'm working on currently. It's already modeled out, I'm right now working on the texturing and the rigging for this character.)

dragonpic2color.png

(This is actually an early version of the model, it's slightly different now pcount wise)

dragonpic2b.jpg

(me fiddling about with Zbrush)

doghead.jpg

(A semi-old sketch of some bots that have a steampunky flair)

BotsSketchResized.jpg

(The full size version of my avatar)

BanZei.jpg

Replies

• RasielD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went back and replaced the "bots" sketch in my original post. Didn't realize how big the img was till I viewed it today at home. I had uploaded that stuff a few days ago at school. More content below. Once again, feel free to utterly rip me a new one as far as how the stuff looks.

(Demon dog, watched a bit too much Helsing before creating this. I might replace this with a smaller version later.)
    Clone%20of%20ddog.jpg

(Dragon fall. I dunno, did it as a bit of an experiment on clouds and that kind of stuff and it kinda grew from there)

dragonfall1.jpg
  • Veneficus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello:)

I think your best stuff is probably the sculpture and the dragon basemesh. You seem to have a good sense of shape and volume, but to me, this doesn't seem to transfer to your 2D work. You work with a lot of bright colors, but you don't use them to describe shapes, you lay them on flat. Notice for instance the helemt of your avatar. You have given the armour plates a falloff shadow, but still the tonal value of the armor plate are the same at the front and at the back of the head. This suggests that the helmet is completely flat, and not round.

I think your robot designs are quite cool, I'd like to see you do something more with those, in more dynamic poses!
  • RasielD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comment and critique. I've got a couple more maquettes in the works, but none ready for photos yet and that basemesh has started getting alot more attention from me lately thanks to a few classes. I should have an updated basemesh pic ready sometime this weekend as well as some possible retexture work (the uvs on him got scrambled recently thanks to some reworking I did). I never really thought about using the color to help describe the shapes. Only using them to bring attention. I've still got the original photoshop file somewhere for my avatar. I might try tweaking it a bit if I have time this weekend, expecially since I now see the flatness of it.

Those bots keep coming back in bits and pieces to me. I've got a few recent sketches in my book I've been meaning to scan in, one of which has a bot similar to the big guy throwing a full arm punch out. I'll try to add them in here soon. There are at least 20-30 pages I've been meaning to scan and start playing with digitally.