Home General Discussion

holy shit (TF2 payouts)

Replies

• Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    ah my stuff was way more complex than a model swap to be honest (which won't work. Was basically a whole new game mechanic). Might do something new someday. Just to see what happens. Polycount rushing to do models now? :D
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Holy fooking shit balls congrats guys! Go polycount.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats to the winners. Sounds like you can now set aside for your kids first year of college... Or..

That new sweet ass set of wheels.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjE0MncZmEA[/ame]

That's the only thing I can think of right now.

Congrats to all the people who got their work put in the game :)

... guess it's the time to get crackin...
  • ThE_BirD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThE_BirD polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats guys... That's effin awesome! :-D
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    man this is some super exciting stuff! big congrats to all you champs! your stuff looks incredible in the store!
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    A pretty nice prize for winning
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I'm jealous, excited...I have a boner. What's happening?!

Congratulations to the 3 guys mentioned! That's incredible.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Take that, Dominance War! Congrats to the winners :)
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I don't believe it. This must be another made up story by the internets!

I'm genuinely very happy for the winners, can't imagine how happy they must be to receive this news!
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, this is amazing news, big grats..
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Holyfuckingshit #$%#@^$!
    First of all Giant Kudos to Valve for enriching polycounters.

And secondly emmm.... Man,Holyfickingshit!!!! Oh wait, I is done that one

congrats to the richy richs=)
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats guys! Has to feel good knowing that the art you made for a competition is making extra income :D
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    So, is everyone going to start modeling hats now? :P
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Oh dear. I can only imagine the stream of newbies who join just to get in on this.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    This is beyond stellar guys! CONGRATS! In a VERY big way!

Now howabout some donations to Polycount for even better servers! eh!?!? EH!?!?! Lord knows they'll need it if this insanity ever kicks back up again!
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    WHAT THE HEEEEEELL. can we still submit stuff? i couldn't make anything at the time because of school :(

Although the money is great, seeing your work in a valve game would probably be more meaningful :D
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    sampson wrote: »
    WHAT THE HEEEEEELL. can we still submit stuff? i couldn't make anything at the time because of school :(

Although the money is great, seeing your work in a valve game would probably be more meaningful :D

You can always submit things. There's been a submission page open since January 2010, a good 5 months before the Polypack competition was even announced.
  • TheBladeRoden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The community map makers and their $100 checks are kicking themselves right now
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    They've got the API for setting up an in-game store in any game covered, I wonder which other titles are going to hop on the mann co. bandwagon? I wouldn't mind seeing a Guitar Hero clone with user submitted skins and props.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    My god!!! That is amazing guys. Well deserved. Now excuse me I have to go make some hats...
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    holy shit.

Well... let the imitators arise.

This is interesting in that this directly benefits developers and artists as a platform to get some extra $. No need for publishers or anything of that fickle nature. I dig, diggity dig it.

Valve is such a step ahead at times it's crazy.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Put all my faith and energy into blizzard's sh*t SC2 mod community. What a mistake that's turned out to be.

Awesome assets though guys, haven't wielded a fish yet but I've thoroughly enjoyed being pummeled by one.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Can you imagine if Blizzard did this for WoW? Maybe allow people to make mounts and sell them that way. Jesus... insanity would ensue.
  • Dethklok52
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polycount pack was amazing, I extremely enjoyed it. I have a load of ideas for weapons though. The thing is, I am not the best 3D modeler, and my trials ended. I am forced to use blender, I feel so insufficient.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Can you imagine if Blizzard did this for WoW? Maybe allow people to make mounts and sell them that way. Jesus... insanity would ensue.

Now that Blizzard is tied to Activision I doubt they'll try something that experimental anytime soon. I doubt any other studio will try this for quite a while if at all.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome! Well deserved stuff, spend it well! Echoing the worry about Polycount being newbflooded :P
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Polycount really needs to try getting more of these "official pack contests"
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very cool! congrats guys. too bad they'll get taxed like 40 percent.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    that's so fucking cool. I feel better now about having bought the polycount pack knowing part of the moneys went to these guys!
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, congrats guys!

And props to Valve to taking something else I usually dislike (micro-transactions, DRM) and turning it into something worthwhile for the community and PR (and, of course, money to keep them doing what they do).
    00Zero wrote: »
    very cool! congrats guys. too bad they'll get taxed like 40 percent.

I think the top tax bracket is somewhere around 35%, and you're only taxed for the amount of your income that falls into a given bracket (so if you make 40K in a year and the 0-30K bracket is 20%, and the 30-40K bracket is 25%, you're taxed 20% on 30K and 25% on the other 10K). Though if the sales stay up they'll be making bunches of money all year and anything over $375K-ish will be in the top bracket of 35%. Unless the money is being considered winnings somehow, but I don't think so since it's in for form of royalties. Could be taxed differently?

Hope that doesn't derail anything though, I just saw taxes mentioned a couple times and thought I'd clear up that they're probably not going to get screwed much more than anyone else on that front.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    DAMN! and i thought having tf2 is a waste of money
    1245295881-792533-343x268-1245295829fuuuuu.jpg
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    woa congrats mates ! Valve made such a good choice to open their game to the commnunity.
    I hope they'll sell the old custom items too so i have a part of the cake :q
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Dethklok52 wrote: »
    I am forced to use blender, I feel so insufficient.

mob_pitchforks-big1-300x198.jpg
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Here's to future sales and future Polycount packs making their way into the game.
  • Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just read about this and wondered if there'd be a thread here. Really awesome of Valve to do such a thing, and massive congrats to those involved.

I don't even own TF2, but I've always been tempted to purchase it. Might have to look into it for the Polycount Pack that was released.
  • Smack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smack polycounter lvl 18
    I was so sad... I got wind of the contest and trying to find out all the details etc. discovered that it was over. :( yes, total fail. But I did end up getting involved in the artpass contest which was a fun challenge, but waaay more work than I really wanted to get into for a contest like that.

anyway... fast forward to yesterday. I saw the announcement about the winners and my jaw dropped. At first I was totally jealous and mad at myself for missing the polycount contest. But honestly, this is exactly the thing that I have been hoping to see happen for a long time now. If this contribution model takes off and spread (like the app store/marketplace for phones) the modding community will never be the same. Suddenly all content has a much more tangible (albeit potential) value.

The only anxiety I have when I think about that scenario is the "market" getting flooded with volumes of cranked out generic junk created like spam that drowns out the genuine efforts of others to contribute and even profit.

This could be a great time for mods. If I have a concept, I might be able to realize it by purchasing/licensing the assets that I need straight through the engine. You could even agree to payment via profit sharing or something similar so that modders would not have to invest lots of money up front. So much potential...

ok... enough rambling. I think it has literally been years since I have posted (more fail). But I just wanted to say that this is awesome. While in and of itself, the contest winners making bank doesn't change anything for 99.9% of us, it could be the harbinger of a new way of thinking, and a new way of working. That really, really excites me.
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    well done the winners! hope some of the other entries in the polycount comp get added too
  • MrLeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found these forums thanks to TF2, Congratulations everyone who won the contest for their great work on the items.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Holy shit thats INSANE!

congratz to the winners.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I heard some folks on the TF2 site are getting butt-hurt about this. I think it's called "Get off yer ass and do something then" something like that.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the top tax bracket is somewhere around 35%, and you're only taxed for the amount of your income that falls into a given bracket (so if you make 40K in a year and the 0-30K bracket is 20%, and the 30-40K bracket is 25%, you're taxed 20% on 30K and 25% on the other 10K). Though if the sales stay up they'll be making bunches of money all year and anything over $375K-ish will be in the top bracket of 35%. Unless the money is being considered winnings somehow, but I don't think so since it's in for form of royalties. Could be taxed differently?

In Uncle Sam's house, he takes close to 40% of you "bonus" before you even get the check.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont wrote: »
    I heard some folks on the TF2 site are getting butt-hurt about this. I think it's called "Get off yer ass and do something then" something like that.

oh they're always butt-hurt about something.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Hahaha apparently!

Well congrats to everyone PC or not PC, as this hopefully opens new avenues in your careers (maybe become Pimps or Indie game devs...).
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    This is possibly the greatest news ever from a competition!

Valve showing exactly how this should be done.

Congrats to all!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it'll be really interesting to see how long the sales keep up, and how well older items do in comparison. As much as I'd like to get something accepted and rake in the dogh myself I get the feeling that after this inital goldrush (and subsiquent for new items) sales will probably slow down noticably. nobody else is likely to get the benefit of a whole pack to sell either.

well swizzle might but the rest of us won't...
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    00Zero wrote: »
    In Uncle Sam's house, he takes close to 40% of you "bonus" before you even get the check.

Sorry for the bump, stopped checking the thread, but I'm not sure why everyone assumes they're being taxed 40% all the time. From a quick search on royalties:

Royalties as Income
    One who receives royalties must report them as income. Royalties can either be reported as passive income to an individual on their form 1040 schedule E or they can be reported as business revenue to a corporation, partnership, or LLC. Royalties are taxed at ordinary income tax rates.
    From other sites with tax rate calculators for bonuses, the rates seem about the same as standard income tax rates. It's not really the point here, but still, just pointing it out.
  • Jedah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedah polycounter lvl 8

Steam Forums produces a legendary amount of daily butthurt. :poly142:
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    ha! just got my hat in for halloween - just in time for auz's parity with the us dollar ARRGH god damn it :(