Home Unreal Engine

UDK mesh importing lightmap issue (help please!)

Hi there,
I'm new to Polycount and I have a question.
I have a mesh that I've been trying to import into UDK but I keep getting the following error message:

wC2OD.jpg

I'm at the point where I'm about to start banging my head against the keyboard. I'm sure I took care not to have any inverted or overlapped faces in my UV map; both on channels 0 and 1 (or 1 and 2 in 3dsmax)

This is the UV map (Channel 1 in 3dsmax. 0 in UDK):

WUoQm.png

And finally the lightmap UVs (channel 2 in 3dsmax, 1 in UDK):

1wHfC.png

This is the mesh in 3dsmax:

QeI9e.jpg

This is a picture of the mesh after I import into UDK:

A8zr2.jpg

Any idea why UDK would give me that error message? I've tried many variations or the lightmap, plus deleting the mesh from the package, re-exporting/importing. I even tried importing it to a whole different package in UDK and I still get the same issue.
Has anyone else had a similar problem? I would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Replies

• Parkar
    Offline / Send Message
    Parkar polycounter lvl 18
    How did you do the two UV maps? If you added an unwrap uvw map and switch to UVW channel 2 it looks like it is the same as your first uvw channel but it is actually just moving the uvw changes in tha modifier to channel 2. So if you want to set both channels to the same map what you want to do is use two uvw modifiers, one for uvw 1 and one for uvw 2. You can colapse them if you want or keep them around but you need a new modifier for the second uvw channel.

Not sure if that made any sense or if it is even the problem but it looks like you might have just changed UVW 1 and assumed 2 looks the same by changing the uvw channel in your unwrap modifier to 2 and then back to 1 again.

An easy way to check that your UVW channel 2 is correct is adding a new uvw modifier (don't use the old one if it is still around or you will destroy your changes), change uvw channel to 2 and then press the reset button. This will remove all changes done in this modifier and show you what it looks like before applying the modifier.

Something is definitely either wrong in max or in the import/export as the UVWs in your last pic is destroyed.
  • Zack Fowler
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    My best guess here is you're exporting with a material applied to the mesh that has the texture tiling more than 1.0. Exporting for UDK, you need to have only textures that are set in your max materials to tile 1.0, otherwise it seems to compensate for the tiling by stretching your UVs on export. An easy check is to export with a default (no texture) max material applied instead.
  • feliponz
    @Parkar: I did press the reset button. Plus I sent it to a friend who is used to working with UDK (he uses a modified version for work), he checked it and found the mesh and UVs (both channels) to be fine. This means the issue is on my side and not exactly the mesh.

@Zack: The map applied to it WAS tiled over 1.0! I'm such a klutz.

Thank you very much to the both of you! Problem has been solved!
  • feliponz
  • CPLKenDude
    My best guess here is you're exporting with a material applied to the mesh that has the texture tiling more than 1.0. Exporting for UDK, you need to have only textures that are set in your max materials to tile 1.0, otherwise it seems to compensate for the tiling by stretching your UVs on export. An easy check is to export with a default (no texture) max material applied instead.

I was having the same issue the original poster was having and I read your comment and found that this was the exact problem I was having. Thanks for the help. I wont be exporting a mesh with anything more than a 1x1 tiled material. Thanks again.
  • synergy11
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    I am having this exact same problem. I use Softimage Version 6.

I checked the tiling it is only one on the material...I tried creating a new material from scratch and having nothing attached to it.

I still get this problem. Other models import just fine.