Home Technical Talk

Tears of modelling

Okey look, im soon to have a mental breakdown, Why the hell does it have to take so much damn effort to make a extremly simple shape? I mean what the hell. Am i missing something here?!
Here is some splines with a surface modifier,
spline.jpg
looks good? NO. if we look at the wire beneath we can see that it pushes the polies up and it creates a bump, and no matter how i make the bezier handles its just impossible to make it smooth. WHY is there no way to create a smooth model with bezier curves?
wirez.jpg
The same occurs when trying to model with turbosmooth.
To get a smooth shape with the sharp corners you need to add edges to create a extremly dense mesh, to the point it takes hours upon hours of editing every single vertex to make just a extremly simple surface.
I mean what the hell? Is this all the program is capable off? Or am i missing something crucial here?
Yes, you can do the little trick of adding triangle to keep certain edges hard, but thats causes smoothing bumps too, so for those to be unnoticible you have to create and dense mesh anyway so there is almost no point to it.
I mean there must be a simple way to create an curved shape with sharp edges? Or is tweaking every single vertices for hours the only way?
If we look in the thread "how do you model dem shape" we can see that the common answer is "add more geometry"
WHAT, THE, HELL
yes, it works on cylinder where i can simply make a new one and let the computer add the edges for me.
But what if its any other shape then a cylinder?
I need to add more geometry until its becomes almost impossible to make it smooth, no matter how much time i spend tweaking each vertices.

Am i missing something? i just cant believe it.

Replies

• divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    i just sat here for 5 minutes wondering what you actually want besides raging about some odd shape. your screenshots aren't really all that great at explaining to people that don't know what you want to make, what you want to make.
    i'll make a wild guess and say that the thing you are missing is practice. can't think of a shape that isn't possible to realize via sub-d modeling, experience and patience.
  • Dreamexpress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke: yeah, that is easy of course, but that shape is not curved in 3 different directions

divi: That is true divi, there is no impossible shape to make in sub-d

and yes, i can make that shape in sub-ds, if i spend enough time and tweak every vertice

but what i wonder is, why cant there be a fast way to create something so simple, and with fast i mean a couple of minutes,
    i will get a better screenshot that shows the curves in multiple ways

*edit:
    Here is a curved surface i want a hole in.
    on the bottom row to the right is the lowpoly unsmoothed mesh, over the same one with a hole cut in it, that hole i want to be square, so i have to add edges the keep the shape, but then the rest of the model gets destroyed when smoothed.

the only way _i_ can make the shape is if i collpase the smoothed mesh and cut the hole from it.

It works fine in this example, but how can i possibly predict every shape i want a hole in?

If i dont predict it i have to add edges until it becomes as dense as the collapsed one and i have to align every single vert manual which is almost humanly impossible.

The question is wether there is some simplier way of aligning the vertices isntead of by hand,

hopefully i explained myself good this time

row.jpg
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    Luke: yeah, that is easy of course, but that shape is not curved in 3 different directions

modifier > Bend?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Also, lattices can make working with denser meshes easier.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    So, what kind of shape are you trying to achieve ?

When you're stuck like that, theres always 2 ways to solve the issue :
    - How would that object be built in real life ? Extruding a tube pipe then cutting it ? Or, punching a hole in a piece of sheet metal then bend it ?
    - How would that object be the most easily described through a parametric 'formula'?

Usually as soon as you start thinking in such terms its pretty easy to figure stuff out. Also, booleans are not always bad. Retopo is your friend too.

Post pic of the object youre trying to model!
    Also - its true that some shape are easier/more efficient to model than others. Look at Doom3 for some of the best examples you could dream of (modelers improvising mecha designs in a very fluid manner, from what I can tell)

(btw - beginners tend to make stuff more complicated than they need to be, so keep that in mind too :D)
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    do it more.

just model a lot more, if your just starting out everything will take a long time, because you have no fucking idea what you are doing. after your 12,000th model come back and start a new thread about how fast you modeled such and such.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Pior said it, keep it simple!

Keep your initial geometry simple, never throw too much polys at the base object. Instead, let the subdivision modifier work for you, it will "average" the curves and you won't get bumps. Plus you can play with the cage while previewing the sub-d version for instant feedback.

Once you have your spectacular curved surface, collapse it to Epoly and then start hard edging away. Bend modifier is quite handy too...depending on the situation.

EDIT: After reading your post again, it seems you already know how to do it., so ehm ????