Home Technical Talk

3d max - Loop Selection 'hotkey' doesn't work

I have two versions of 3dmax on my computer: 64 bits and 32.
In 64 version I have a shortkey 'c' for 'loop selection' (Customize -> Customize User Interface -> Group: Main UI -> Loop Selection (skin) ), and when I edit some object, select edge, click 'c' then it makes a loop for egdes, and evthg works fine.
But it just doesn't work in 32bit version of max :/ do you have any ideas? All settings are the same, although it dosn't work for 32bit version :/

Replies

• GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    I have no idea what your problem is but I have a question about this tool; what is it ? I used loop a lot (to select edge loops etc) but i never heard of Loop Selection (skin) ...
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    loop selection (skin) is as it says the loop selection for the skin modifier, the modifier to bind the model to a rig. don't ask me why there have to be dozens of loop selection shortcuts and not just one context sensitive but you'll have to bind yourself the right one you want to use. In your case it would be "select sub-object loop"
  • Gerbeiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox - yep, you're right:> sorry :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    sorry for what? autodesk creating redundant shortcuts? not your fault man :D
  • Gerbeiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm.... sorry, strange thing: I have a shortkey 'ALT + L' in [Customize.... -> Edit Poly -> Select Edge Loop'] - and this shortkey works fine. When I add 'c' (and there are two shortkeys: 'Alt + L, C'), the 'C' doesnt work, but 'Alt +L' does :/
    AND... when I add a shortkey 'C' to [Customiize... -> Mian UI-> 'Select Loop (Poly)] - it works :/ Alt + L works also :/
    I don't understand, what is the difference between [Edit poly -> Select Edge Loop] and [Main UI-> 'Select Loop (Poly)]
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    the stupidity goes on :D
    it is because you now have that shortcut definied twice, you need to remove it from the skin stuff OR you need to turn on or off your keyboard shortcut override toggle

but_maintlb_kbd_override_max.gifbut_keyboard_shortcut_override.png

depending on whats your current setting :D
  • Gerbeiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok ok, thanks a lot, I don't even want to check it now becouse it's a bit odd, strange or weird (choose the best word) :)
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the stupidity goes on
    it is because you now have that shortcut definied twice, you need to remove it from the skin stuff OR you need to turn on or off your keyboard shortcut override toggle

OMG you are my hero.

When in the UVW editor window, most of the time the default shortcuts wouldn't work for me (mainly....going through the menu to hit break polygons instead of using ctrl+b really sucks)....instead it would affect the viewport.

Turns out that shortcuts were only affecting the viewport and not the UVW Editor window because the override toggle was off.

This is something that has bothered me for a really, really long time.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea welcome to Max Keyboard Shortcuts... I strongly suggest setting up a set of custom KBS, and save it in your dropbox. That way where ever you go, they're only a quick "load KBS" away.

Next you'll find that some KBS are hard coded in max and you can't change them... makes it that much more interesting to make an efficient set.