Home Technical Talk

How should I optimize this? :S

Hiya counters! :D
I am really troubled with this robot I modeled few months back.It's low size(without any mesh smooth) is around 2,00,000.I did it to revise my 3ds max modeling skills as I did one job in b.w. in which I had to work on a diffrnt 3d soft which I didn't like much. :|
Now I would like to optimize this mesh,bring it down,make a low poly of it,make the high res on it and then texture it in mudbox.I have been optimizing my meshes manually so far but I know how long will it take me to optimize this one.Any tools you guys suggest?specially for optimizing in organic models like these.I really wan't to start it's texturing. :( But the face size is killing me! :poly122:

Here is what I am talking abt .

War_machine_wireframe.JPG

robo_2.JPG

robo_1.JPG

Oh and the concept credit goes to Michael See. :)

Replies

• cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    model low-poly over? :) wouldn't that be quickest way if you just refreshed your modeling skills?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I would build a new low-poly mesh manually over it. I know, it's not what you wanna hear.
    /beaten by cupsster
  • mukuluppal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @cupsster & noors - No I refreshed my modelling skills way back. :P now I have working with 3ds max only for few months now.I just find this trick BORING :( isn't there a way where I can at least get closest base meshes for each piece and then clean it's loops etc.Like with wrapit or 3d coat? Just asking that if the game veterans here say to do this MANUALLY I ll do it manually only. :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would probably clone/detach pieces optimize them a bit and use those pieces to create the low.

I would do stuff like select edges on the cap of a cylinder, turn it into a shape/spline, convert that to geometry and extrude and cap it.

WrapIt & Max ReTopo are two of my favorites, in that order. I've only used wrapIt's automatic quad mesh on organic stuff, but it would be interesting to see what it does with something mechanical. Probably more trouble then its worth.
  • mukuluppal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @vig - Thanks.What approach will you follow with wrapit ? I did fiddle around with it a little but too many options of it just bombarded my head :S
  • mukuluppal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @vig - sorry read the last line late.yup.That's what happened with me. :( so i guess there is no good solution for optimizing mechanical stuff.right?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the branch function in wrapIt would be good for some pieces. I don't think there is a one button solution for this like there is for organic stuff.
    arm.gif

If you choose to optimize some pieces that are pretty dense instead of building the low from scratch, the dot loop, dot ring functions in Graphite Modeling Tools are pretty handy. They let you select every other ring/loop, then you can just ctrl-remove them and half of your edges disappear.

But yea unless someone else has another way I think you're stuck... optimizing and building.

Personally I try to block in the simple shapes as much as possible as if it was the low poly cage, then when I start to detail I add modifiers (edit poly/unwrap) on top and don't collapse. That way I can go back to the base shape pretty quickly and build a low poly.

I even take it a step further and arrange and preserve the pivots of those base shapes as much as possible so I can work in local space and quickly align things when rigging.
  • mukuluppal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @vig - oh yeah .I am aware of the dot loop tools.Well I guess I need to start only.been dragging this personal project for few weeks now. :(
    I just want to confirm this but I wanted to know that is it really possible to - import a low poly in mudbox,apply it's high res mesh as nornal map on it,get real time results and texture it then and there only. - If this is for real am really gonna enjoy texturing. :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    thje mesh is so clean and loopbased, why not just select the uneccesary loops and rings and justremove them, its monkey work - a lot of it but totally not complicated
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
  • mukuluppal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @neox - yup it is monkey work that's why wanted to listen the opinions here.

Any idea of - " I just want to confirm this but I wanted to know that is it really possible to - import a low poly in mudbox,apply it's high res mesh as nornal map on it,get real time results and texture it then and there only. - If this is for real am really gonna enjoy texturing. " ?
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    You have to unwrap the low poly version before.After that you can render out your normalmap(with 3dsmax´s render to texture or what i prefer xnormal).
    You should also render out a Ambient Occlusion Map, which can be a great base to start texturing.
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats the current poly count, whats the target ? will this be animated?

i would duplicate the model and go through the slow and tedious process of simplifying the shapes step by step. that said i think organization will help here.

first off realize that your model is symmetrical so you only have to do half the work :)

second, try to break up the model into 5 pieces, torso, legs, arms. now you have some manageable objects to deal with.

hide all the objects except say one of the arms, get to simplifying it as much as possible. merging as many obects as you can do comfortably.

take your time since you will probably re-visit the thing in your head and realize you could merge this object or that object without much noticeable difference in the model.

i think for a model like this you would want to go this route since you have already taken the time to do it so precisely any of the 'faster' methods would invariably create errors in the precision of the low poly to match up to the high.

lastly your model is really fantastic, i love the design and also pity you at the same time :)
  • mukuluppal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @speCter - thanks.Any idea of my mudbox query?

@planaria - the current poly count is 2,00,000 :| target is ~15k tris.no I won't animate it.
    yup that's true that I will have to half of the work but trust me that is tedious too. :P I will start optimizing this manually as suggested by many others too. :)
    Thanks for the idea of breaking the model into pieces.
    haha .thanks man. :)
    Any idea about my mudbox query?
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not sure about the mudbox stuff, zbrush has some really impressive texturing tools that i have yet to actually learn as of yet though.

hmm, if your not going to animate..

why not go and grab 3d-coat import into 3d-coat as a voxel object, then re-convert the voxel object into a polyobject and use the quadrangulation to autocreate your low poly? it might work, it might not work but it would take at most an hour of your time.
  • mukuluppal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm.never tried this software.will try that thought.Thanks :)
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can view your Normal Map in Mudbox aswell.You can paint on your model in realtime in Mudbox too.Planarias suggestion will only work good, if you are working on static things.If you want to do stuff which deforms you should rebuild the lowpoly by hand.
    And you will most probably get a cleaner uv map when you are doing the rebuild step yourself.
    And the voxel2polyobject way doesn´t work that good on hard-edged surfaces like this robot(this is more my opinion then really knowing)

You should really take the route neox suggested.It´s monkey work i know, but it´s not that slow and you will more likely get predicable results that way.

PS:
    Compared to Mudbox´s Texturing Tools,Zbrush feels like shit(at least the last time i used it).Polypainting just works good if there are enough poly´s to begin with.(Again my opinion though)
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    +1 Neox: Start Strippin'! :D

Seriously its super clean, you could strip it out fast, and whats a pain in the --- vigs methods (btw awesome) should make it relatively fast.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, but he could also use the Swift Loop and delete Loops with one click...
  • mukuluppal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @speCter - yup that's what I am doing right now.manually lowering the count.it's so boring though specially when the gap between the actual poly count and my target is so huge. :( anyways I ll complete it soon. :)
    I hear you what you say about Mudbox texturing tool. :) + I love panning my viewport with my pointer on my model.zbrush skipped that for god knows what reasons :|
    @Grimm_Wrecking - Yup read that and following everything whatever is written here now! :D
    Will post the texturing updates whenever I get to them.NEED BIG HELP WITH THAT.Never attempted such a huge model to texture with game prerequisites. :\ All the best to me. :D

And thanks EVERYONE for their inputs! you guys rock! :)