Home Technical Talk

Modelling and wall tiling

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
salacious_Crumb polycounter lvl 11
Newish to environment modelling in games. I have read up on modular brick walls by Kevin Johnstone's, and this thread http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1101338#post1101338

Great stuff. I'm trying to get my head round the work practices.
I'm trying to create a brick building with corner stones and large stones around the window frames. How would you go about modelling this?

I was thinking of creating a tiling texture for the yellow bricks around the main part of the house. Then maybe creating extra geometry for the corner stones and frames and just placing it over the top of the walls, a bit like in the images below. Is this a waste of polygons as it doesnt add much to the sillouette? (obviously its a work in progress and I would be taking them into a sculpting app and then retopo it properly).

Gatekeepers02-1.jpg

Gatekeepers01.jpg

Replies

• Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, adding in extra geometry shouldn't be that bad, depending on your budget and platform etc. But if you're worried, you could always use planes to put em on.

Means you'd either have to use an alpha which is prolly gonna drain more performance than the actual brick meshes, or, you could jus use planes without alpha, but they'd be very squarey.

I'd prolly go for modeling in the bircks, while trying to keep them well optimized :)