Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some Guns for a New Project!

Hey guys, I've got this very WIP scifi-ish rifle + GRL attachment based roughly on the L85, A91 (referenced below) and the M203 that I'd love some critique on. The rifle fires larger rounds than the .223, hence the larger firing assembly and mag, but the G Launcher I'm thinking fires standard 40mm. I'm trying to go for Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter meets Halo in terms of construction and styling.

So far, the only attachment you see is the M203-style grenade launcher. I've got an ACOG-esque scope in the works and attachment recommendations are very welcome!

I've got plenty of time for fixes, so hit em hard!

EDIT: retopology got a little messy, but I think it is a vast improvement over the previous one. Also, I've been playing around with my render setup; any thoughts on that?

FIRST
rifle01.jpg
PREV
rifle_top02_01.jpg
NEW
rifle06.jpg
NEW SIL
Hi-Poly Wires
rifle05_retop.jpg

REFERENCE
SA-80_rifle_1996.jpg
a91_01.jpg

Replies

• snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Hi there!

Looks good. In your low poly you might want to fix up (apart from the obvious edge that looks like its been accidentally deleted) the left of your circular cut out bit, i'd do that a little differently, so you don't have such a stretched quad, and instead make some nicer triangles in that area. Just move some verts around and make the topology look a little nicer (such as spacing out verts a little nicer), but it's looking good keep at it!
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    I love the rifle design, but the short one?..how does it operate? where did you put the bullet for the small barrel? where is the trigger for the small barrel? and if the lower one was intended to shoot as a grenade launcher, I don't think one can hold the recoil with 1 hand, you might want to make it longer a bit, a place for the second hand to support it.

_Revel
  • KoldIt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally I would make the handle a bit longer on the pistol cuz If you compare it to the hand you have there it seems like the littlefinger will be on the edge or just outside.
  • IdiotDrummerGuy
    thanks for pointing out the bad topology!

the smaller weapon is actually a M203 grenade launcher with a different barrel shroud. The handle does look a bit small small, though, I agree.

thanks for the input guys!
  • IdiotDrummerGuy
  • JRyanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    where's the Magazine release? i would also love to see the other side of the gun and how your doing the ejection port.

really good change on the muzzle break and the front sight post.

you might want to take a look at some other m203 references and see how the barrel attaches to the weapon though, along the picatinny rail system. it usually has a small lever to detach and attach. you also might want to make the charging handle a little bigger, or at least play around with it. it works, but being a gun nut i think it would be awkward to actually operate. maybe a little fatter.

maybe you could play with a broomstick handle when you 203s not attached too. those are always fun.

i really like the direction it's going though, and i want to pick it up and shoot it. i really like the butt stock and the cheek rest, as well as the overall shape. for the final product you might want to add a magazine and some rounds, just for presentation.

looking great though, keep up the good work!
  • JRyanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    where's the Magazine release? i would also love to see the other side of the gun and how your doing the ejection port.

really good change on the muzzle break and the front sight post.

you might want to take a look at some other m203 references and see how the barrel attaches to the weapon though, along the picatinny rail system. it usually has a small lever to detach and attach. you also might want to make the charging handle a little bigger, or at least play around with it. it works, but being a gun nut i think it would be awkward to actually operate. maybe a little fatter.

maybe you could play with a broomstick handle when you 203s not attached too. those are always fun.

i really like the direction it's going though, and i want to pick it up and shoot it. i really like the butt stock and the cheek rest, as well as the overall shape. for the final product you might want to add a magazine and some rounds, just for presentation.

looking great though, keep up the good work!
  • IdiotDrummerGuy
    got the scope blocked in, just adding some minor details and getting crits from some buddies. new shots up by tomorrow!

CURRENT
    rifle_top02_01.jpg
  • IdiotDrummerGuy
    hit a snag... I'm in the process of redesigning the m203 attachment, or more specifically, the rail system on which it sits. I'll have shots as soon as I get some time @_@
  • IdiotDrummerGuy
    new topology.

FINALLY starting work on the extra attachments XD