Home Featured Artwork

2010 Comicon: Valkyrie [Big Pics Ahoy]

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
Hey dudes, heres my entry for comicon this year over at GA.

I picked Valkyrie, but decided 2048 and 12k poly's was an opportunity to cram in way more shit than a viking chick with a braid and spear, so i overhauled her from top to bottom in a style that I enjoyed more.

I took inspiration from Aion, Genzoman's wicked illustrations, Shunya Yamashita's female face illustrations.

Shes under budget at around 11,200 which I was really surprised with at the end, I should have used those extra tris to round out some more of the armour pieces but i didnt really know how heavy the wings were going to be before I actually started blocking them out, in the end they are barely 100 tris each!!

By that time I had literally no time to go back to the mesh and start cutting stuff back in.

Beauty Shot

2010_comicon__valkyrie_wip_42_by_hyperdivine-d30s4si.jpg

Presentation Shot

2010_comicon_valkyrie_frontbac_by_hyperdivine-d30yad5.jpg

Textures

2010__comicon_valkyrie_texture_by_hyperdivine-d30y71b.jpg

( Am working on a decent wireframe and a 360 spin to post up so you can get a real sense of scale from her wings etc)

Everything is hand painted except for the light dirt overlay on the metal. And i havent used any renderers for any of these shots - just straight viewport grabs from max using xoliul's badass shader which is totally free for both max and maya.

For my beauty shot I painted smoke using a photoshop smoke tutorial I found on the web, and for the 'particles' I simply found a pic of a night sky with bajillions of stars on it, scaled them up to 3 different sizes and erased which ones i didnt want to help give that illusion of depth.

After working until 4:00am on it i looked at it in the morning and saw that it looks like shes underwater.... doh! but hey thats how I rolled.

Lessons learnt from this comp:

* Wings that work nicely are fucking hard to pull off, no rigger in their right mind would be happy with trying to make what ive done work nicely.. heh.
* Trying to work with a character that has a massive silhouette in its entirety can be frustrating, I want to show her face but that would mean cutting off her wings, or cranking up the perspective or finding some strange angle to shoot her at etc.
* I underestimated the time it would takes to present a character like this.

Some WIPS and other goodies

2010_comicon__valkyrie_wip_28_by_hyperdivine-d308ks9.jpg

2010_comicon__valkyrie_wip_34_by_hyperdivine-d30iwgk.jpg

2010_comicon__valkyrie_wip_25_by_hyperdivine-d2ztz78.jpg

2010_comicon__valkyrie_wip_40_by_hyperdivine-d30nrv6.jpg

2010_comicon__valkyrie_wip_38_by_hyperdivine-d30nrl5.jpg

2010_comicon__valkyrie_wip_37_by_hyperdivine-d30lflj.jpg

Thanks for looking dudes, hope you like!

Replies