Home Technical Talk

3d medical refs?

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
so i made a 3d skeleton a while back, and i always wondered "how accurate IS this anyway?". other than drawings and x-rays etc, it's very difficult to guage.

so i was wondering if anyone knew of, or has, any actual 3d-scanned skeleton meshes? preferrably for male AND female, but either is fine i guess?

Replies

• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I think Zygote were giving away a male and female skeletal mesh a while back. might be worth googeling about for it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Real scanned data here...
    http://www.cc.gatech.edu/projects/large_models/vis_bone.html
    ... but it's gonna be a real pain to convert and assemble.

Free models abound though...
    http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=free+skeleton+3d+model
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    so i made a 3d skeleton a while back, and i always wondered "how accurate IS this anyway?". other than drawings and x-rays etc, it's very difficult to guage.

IMHO the difficulty with this is that there is a variety in human skeletal features coupled with a relative lacking of publicly available 3D scanned in an easily accessible format. The other thing is that doctors, physicians, etc. have differing opinions as to what constitutes a "perfect" representation of certain biological systems, or how much accuracy and precision they are looking for to attain it. So I would likely say that if it looks like a good representation, not to worry about it too much. If you really, really want to know, another method besides acquiring already existing models would be to try to see if you can get it looked at by doctors or medical students in an easy to use and view format.

Someone else mentioned Zygote models, a link to them is here,although they are far from free. I might also be able to send you a copy of the skeleton I made. It would be more for comparison than anything else, as it was made to be a Z-Brush-able model, and thus is lacking certain features. The 3D model it was intended to replace, and that was used for reference, had some human variation too that sets it a bit off from average (whoever the original data it was based on had some affliction which caused some compression/curvature of the lower spinal column). Also none of the people I worked with, nor myself, specialized in being able to identify gender based on skeletal features so its sort of ambiguous. Doctors and physicians seemed okay with using it in their animations though, so it can't be too horrible. Link to some pictures for you to decide, just let me know and I'll see what I can do. :\
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Id say, instead of trying to make a perfect one, try to go for the extremes as it should be a great exercise. Take your existing skeleton file and turn it into the Hulk, then a hobbit ... I cannot wait to see that actually!!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    that's a damned good idea Pior... i'll have a think about that :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This one is almost posable. It is affordable, rendered in real-time 3D, and has some animations and poses, but you cannot adjust the limbs yourself. :(
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDucqWlMfUM[/ame]
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.