Home Technical Talk

Relinking textures in MAX

easterislandnick
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
Hi, I'm using Max 2011 and have a set of models whose texture paths are now incorrect due to the directory sructure changing. Is there a script in Max like file texture manager in Maya to re-path textures easily. I tries Relink Bitmaps but I couldn't get it to install on 2011.

Replies

• JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    On 2010, but it's been there since the dawn of time, so I assume it is still there in 2011 - utilities tab > bitmap/photometric paths. If the button isn't there, check in "more..."
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    You can also do this in the asset tracker thingy, you select the bitmaps and redefine the path to the actual resources. Good luck!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw wrote: »
    You can also do this in the asset tracker thingy, you select the bitmaps and redefine the path to the actual resources. Good luck!
    Yep File > Manage > Asset tracking It helps to have the files all in one place.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, looks like the asset tracker is another new(ish) feature that past me by
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not exactly perfect and its more of a feature of Autodesk Vault than anything else.

If you don't have Vault enabled it will say status is "unknown" when the path is correct... or if its broken. So you can't really trust it for checking paths. But it works well for changing a lot of paths quickly.

There also is a bug with "retarget common root" which you use to retarget multiple paths that have the first part of a path in common but the sub-folders are different. If the names of the sub-folders are similar it will get confused and fubar the paths directing them into one folder.

For example retargeting these files from the C drive, to an identical folder structure on the D drive.
    C:\projects\Project01\object01
    C:\projects\Project01\object01\object01_ref
    C:\projects\Project01\object01\object01_textures
    C:\projects\Project01\object01\object01_models

There is a good chance it will set the paths to
    D:\projects\Project01\object01\
    or if you're lucky it just drops the last part
    D:\projects\Project01\object01\object01_
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    That sounds ropey vig, on the bright side this sort of thing is quite straightforward to script if you will need to do this a lot.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea it is, but those are the only two bugs I've ever run into and I've been using it since 3dsmax2008, so no other issues besides those. That's a good point about scriptablity too, there might be something like that already over at scriptspot.