Home Technical Talk

simple UV question

wannabeartist
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
wannabeartist polycounter lvl 8
Hello,

What is the best way to map recessed doorways and windows?

Suppose the building is made of bricks or something that will show any seams that you leave in the UVs. But if you make the sides seamless, you cannot fit the top (of the recess) and vice versa... is there some kind of best practice for this?

Here's an example of the kind of doorway I mean.

Replies

• Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    For me, I just planar map everything and stitch the side UV of the door way to the front, since the door way has a hard corner, even if you split the UV of the inner part, people wouldn't notice it.

_Revel
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hide seams through design? A gutter pipe, a tinny piece of metal flashing that directs water to the sides of the door, a sign, a wire, trim the door way.

Cover it with a procedural texture that doesn't relay on the UV layout, then bake it out. This works great for getting a wood pattern to line up across a bunch of UV pieces.

Distort the UV's so it all fits in seamlessly.
  • wannabeartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wannabeartist polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the tips, guys!

I have used the cover idea before - it's a good plan now too. I just wanted to know if there is some nifty little trick how that sort of thing could be mapped seamlessly, but I guess it's pretty impossible. Well, a gutter pipe will do the trick ;)