Home General Discussion

Looking for Dimensions

Is there a reliable site that lists average dimensions?Or is there a list of most common measurements?
For example: Average door height. Average chair height,Average table height,Average height of a step, average brick height?
In the Environment Modeling for Production series the artist has his own personal one.
It would help immensely.

Replies

• Tom Ellis
    Google?

Seriously though, yes, there are 'recommended guidelines' for architectural dimensions. Obviously door/window heights would vary slightly depending on installation but most tables/countertops/desks will have a recommended size for comfortable use.

Google should get you these dimensions very quickly.
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Some measurements are more widely-standardized than others. Most doors are around 6' 8", and about 3" wide. Ordinary house bricks are around 8" x 4" x 2", though this can vary by country.

I guess you're watching Tim Jones' Gnomon DVD? Just search for dimensions as and when you need them and make your own reference sheet.
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Average for what kind of game?
    You'd make a door frame much larger if you're making a 3rd person shooter vs. 1st person. If it's for an RTS it could be twice as large as real scale.

First define visual needs from the view of the player as well as the gameplay needs. This will help answer most of your dimensional issues.
  • Jacecr
    I was hoping there would be more options outside of google.
    On cgarchitect someone referred me to the architectural graphic standard book but no website.
    It's difficult for me to gauge measurements from a concept sketch or the latest next gen game.I know environment artists have to do this all the time.I was hoping for a simple method that's more accurate than trial and error.
    On the Gnomon dvd(Tim Jones' )he figures out the measurements in photoshop based on the size of a brick and a door.The last thing I want to do is model a building , only to discover the interior is too small or the steps too short.

I export to the Unreal engine and I've made a subway and an old house.Both of which are on my 3d model section of my blog. http://workinprogress-joshcr.blogspot.com/
    in the video uploads tab you can see an unreal video of the two.

The dimensions just feel off.I either have a lack of space or too much space.Knowing how much space i need to account for and dimensions of things would help me before it's too late in the creation process.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    why would you need something outside google?

Your house looks alright, but you need to learn how to eye scale as well, your house looks ok, but the garages (3 of them) are just a bit wider then the door, the garbage dumpster is just a bit wider then the door and should be much wider, and your fence has no posts, and the pattern is too large and why would it be electric? At the scale you have your fence you could stick your whole head through them. You should be able to eyeball alot of stuff easily, or maybe that's a skill I picked up somewhere down the road.. but google should suffice.

Not to mention your textures are WAAAAAAAAAAY to big for what they are. I'd suggest posting some models in the pimping and preview section and getting some feedback on your stuff. Especially if you want to do this for a career.

Your roof tile, is 512x512 of what looks like a 64x64 tiled texture already, just use a unique tileable 512 and get more resolution out of it. Your signs are way to large for such a small portion of the model, etc.. etc.. etc..

Portfolio+Project+Asset+2+%282%29.jpg
  • Jacecr
    I see your point, So based on my models in scene.My roof could've been 256.Because the player won't get very close to the roof to see the detail.My walls 1024.And my sign should have been based on the actually size of my sign in units?maybe 512 because the player can get close to the sign?
  • Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Jacecr wrote: »
    I was hoping there would be more options outside of google

Any site with the details you're looking for can be found using google.
    But "Outside" of google? Measuring tape, pen and paper. Or yellow pages and a phone.
  • sprunghunt