Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Bill Lowe

I've been a long time lurker and many like it but have not really had anything to contribute until recently. I'm currently learning ZBrush and 3dsmax whilst trying to improve my drawing and digital painting skills.

I would appreciate any feedback or criticism given, I only want to improve!

A quick painting in Photoshop, I feel I need to improve my use of colour.
purplewood.jpg

This my 2nd or 3rd head sculpt done in ZB, I couldn't get the eyes right in the polypaint so I've left them blank for now, I wanted to move on from this one. I'll be using references next time too, this was all done freehand and the polypaint by hand, no photos.
newhead03.jpg

Replies

• Bill Lowe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick speedy from yesterday.
    arabicspeed.jpg

An attempt and doing some more realistic facial painting, I need to work on every aspect of the face I think but it's some improvement over my previous attempts.

facialpractice01.jpg

And finally a WIP that I've let sit for a week or so, not reall sure where to take it or weather the composition is good enough to continue with it, I had planned to add a boat in the foreground which may help..

dockswip01.jpg
  • Bill Lowe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A speedy one
    acidcave.jpg
    WIP of a much larger resolution image I plan to improve on
    rivermountainswip01.jpg
    And a quick sketch from a photo ref
    egghead.jpg
  • Bill Lowe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update on my re-skin of some generic leather armour for the game I'm working on (I'm the web/UI designer really but wanted to do something different over the weekend.
    leather_chest08.jpg
    leatherboots02.jpg
    Also working on my first full body sculpt in ZB. Made this guy starting with zpheres, I need to start using references.
    fullbodyman01.jpg
  • lampekap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey Lowe, i think the leather looks very nice. as for the human body sculpt, youre doing better than me :p i started yesterday with doing my first human body blockout, but its so hard to get right... (sigh). Im not at all the right person to critisize your anatomy, but here are a few areas that stand out for me:
    the arms look too much like tubes, i can't see where the hand starts to be, there is a huge gap between the shoulder and the neck and the knees and feet look very tiny.
    as i said before i cant give u any advice only keep practasing and useing reference images :)

goodluck
  • Bill Lowe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments lampekap, I'm pretty new to anatomy myself and I'm trying not to use too many references in hope of developing a more natural understanding of the forms of the body. Some fundamental stuff has helped a lot though and today I started a new sculpt. Again from z-spheres and this time staying in the lower subdivision levels, to avoid getting caught up in detail and just concentrate on the forms.

fullbodyman02.jpg

I'm happy with it so far but will spent a bit more time in this low poly stage until it's exactly as I want it (super average man!).
  • Bill Lowe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I meant to work on my character sculpt more but instead the day kinda drifted along and I didn't get anything done really - except this rather speedy mountain sketch, loosely based on a photo.
    whitemountainweb.jpg