Home General Discussion

On the time scale of 1-24+ (Concept Art Question)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
How long does it take to create all the poses of your concept art?

Say for example; it is understood that if you have one idea you would draw it out roughly, than you would draw it repeatedly in different poses from different prospective(s).

Finally you would use all of them as a ref to create the final piece the one you would want to use for your 3d modeling and create its front and the side ref image.

How long does that entire process takes you?

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Not very long, as long as the design has been nailed. All the actual work can be done in less than 1 working day.

The main goal of drawing orthographic sketches is to work out the proportional relations between all the major shapes, color scheme, and distribution of detail. Even if you wanted to draft everything out accurately so that they all the details line up, it still might not translate to appealing forms in 3D. So it's best to think of this stage as landmarking to get you a solid start with the 3D model. Don't stress over getting all the intricate detail to line up correctly. Instead, focus on laying down a pared down version of your design that works well without all the extra fluff, and leaving all the refinements for further concepting in separate detail drawings, which can also be sketched on top of your 3D blockout if you like.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    It kind of depends on who's going to be building the 3d model. If you concepted it yourself and plan on building it yourself then you may not even need to make orthographic sketches. I used to get concepts all the time where it was just the front of a character in a pose. So I'd have to make up something on my own for the back, as well as come up with details that the concept artist decided to obscure in smoky shadows or something. :poly124:

I agree that you normally don't need orthographic views to line up perfectly, but if you're working with outsourcing sometimes you have to be pretty exact and accurate. If not then you'll find yourself having to correct the work later because they misinterpreted something (I've found that outsourced work is very conservative and will try to match explicitly what you give them instead of trying to come up with the right compromise on their own).

As for time, depending on the level of finish and how specific you get concepts can run anywhere from a few hours to several days, especially if it needs to be heavily revised.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    ^What? So, you dont even have to sketch out at least once to get the idea of what you wish to draw?

I thought *according to the tutorials that I've been taking notes from* you have to keep on drawing one character or one environment until you fully understand your idea, so you wont have to worry much about the details because you will know what details to put on (or as they say, that the 3d arist must understand after you passed your art work to him)

Your strategy is good also, but wouldnt it take longer to create 3d model of it?