Home Technical Talk

Model HP into LP model or use LP as reference?

I just wondered how many people, especially with detailed hard body objects, block out a low poly model first and then model the high poly over the top, using the low poly as reference.

Or do you block out the low poly and then add the details into that, creating the high poly from the same model?

Btw this is when modeling in a 3d app only, without using a sculpting app.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blockout simple mesh, this isnt a "lowpoly" as you're not going to do any optimization, uvs, cleanup, etc. You just want this done as fast as possible to get the proportions right. Then you use this as a reference, and either base your high on top of this or remodel with it in the background(often times it makes more sense to remodel with the proper polyflow when you know what you want).

Then for your low, you can take bits and pieces of the blockout, you can start from the high, and you re-created pieces entirely, it all depends on what will be easiest for the specific area, and you'll like do all 3 things on a complex mesh.
  • Mr. Bean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generally I think the process is to make the high poly, then remove detail until you have the low poly.

Edit: EQ's method would work too.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Depends on the model and what you're trying to achieve with the normal map. There are times when you can just float some details on top of the LP and bake away.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    or remodel with it in the background(often times it makes more sense to remodel with the proper polyflow when you know what you want).

This is what I thought. I just wanted to hear it from someone, as on all the tutorials I've seen they've always cut the high poly into the blockout mesh.