Home Technical Talk

Question about script for automatic backface selection/deletion + auto face rotation

Hey guys, my first post on this lovely forum. Ive lurked here for a few years now on and off but never needed to make a post until now. I decided this would be the best place to ask the question i have since people here are savvy with 3D programs and understand game related problems.

I have two questions really but both relating to the same thing. Im trying to make a 3D sky box for a source map out of a single 3d model. to reduce resources since this level is using a LOT of displacements and i need the skybox to look like its made of displacements too but not be as resource heavy.

What ive done is make the skybox i want in Hammer, exported that file to 3DS max and applied some poly crunching to it but i want to take its optimization further by removing all the faces that wont be seen by the player (ie, the faces that are occluded by other faces, since this is a mountain scape, any face on the otherside of the mountain will never be seen by the player) I wondered if anyone knew if there was a script where you set a camera or "focus point" (the center of the map or sky camera) and it shot out rays from that point finding all the faces that could not be seen from that point, were occluded or back facing. That way i could delete them all with a swift button press.

2nd question: I want to populate the terrain with flat billboard trees that face towards the center of the map. I was thinking there MUST be a script that takes the axis of a plane and moves it to face a specified point, just like a sprite would only i want to bake this effect because it never needs to move. Since the skybox will never be visit-able by the player i just want to make billboards that constantly face into the center of the skybox (the sky camera/players view)

Any help with either of these problems would be mega awesome! im working on a really huge source map. Check it out over on interlopers if youre at all interested. x