Home Technical Talk

Modular characters for the DS- Texturing

Hey, this is my first thread here so I'm pretty nervous ~I've tried searching the forums for help but couldn't find anything specific on this.

I'm starting a University project (currently doing some research) on how to create modular characters for the DS, I've done some modular character work for the Unreal engine so I have a rough idea as to how I would split the character into sections, but would this work in the same way for the DS?

Ah, I'm full of questions, the main question I came here to ask was concerning textures. In Unreal you could create a single texture sheet that could have the extra customizable leg, arm, torso etc all on that one sheet. Would the DS work in a similar fashion? Or would you create smaller texture sheets for -each- customizable part, but all at smaller texture sizes?

(Just in case I'm using the word 'modular' incorrectly, I'm going for how games like Final Fantasy Echoes of Time and Dragonquest 9 lets you select custom hair, shoes, armor etc)

Does anyone here have any ideas or experience on how to go about this, or any other sources (websites, books) I could go to to get more information on modular character modeling for the DS in general.

Any help is much appreciated, I hope all of this makes sense xD