Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blood Bowl Ork

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
feanix polycounter lvl 7
I'm doing a Blood Bowl Ork to brush up some one my character modelling skills for university.

My primary influence is this concept.

I won't be following the concept 100% faithfully. I want to make my ork too look a bit tougher and a bit more grisled, with some muscle going to fat and some wrinkles working in here. Imagine him as an ork who was at his peak last season.

Originally I experimented a bit with ZSpheres but gave up and decided to model my presculpt by hand. Mostly this was so I could ensure good topology on the head (still working towards that!).

Anyways, some progress shots:

Old 1
Old 2

PISbV.jpg

Not quite happy with the fingers yet, the look too sausagey. I will be adding most detail in zbrush but I want a really good base to work from. Much happier with the head, which is shaping up nicely from all angles. I think I'm going to do the gums as a seperate mesh (along with the tongue and teeth). This is because it's important that the lips can curl away from the teeth to give a nice snarl. I'm also trying to model in major muscles at this point to ensure that I have the right number of polies in the right places.

Looking at this image now I think maybe the pectoral muscles need redoing because the should attach under the delts but are instead attaching under the armpits. :S

Replies

• JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey - I like your concept taste

As you say, I think the head is the best part and I also like your proportions in general for abase mesh.

The main concern right now is your body topology. It is really weird some areas. Most obvious is the palm - then my eyes go to his chest muscles where it is almost like he has topology made for two chests. And lastly the shoulder/armpit aera as you mentioned yourself.

And about the hand. Try making the pinky shorter and the thumb thicker since that is your thickest finger.

GL & HF
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    I was trying to get a general palm shape for the hand, that kinda raised C shaped area. Should I just make it flat?

More progress:
    Vuen2.jpg

Really need to work on his posture here. His back is too straight and it looks like his head juts out of his body at 90 degrees rather than him just being hunch backed. Or maybe it's okay? Opinions needed!

aiHRO.jpg
    Love me some Orky Booty. Still working on the Glutinus Maximii. After that I wanna go in and model in some basic muscle definition.

tnNbq.jpg
    Worked a bit on the fingers (I just noticed the index finger is too short!) and the pectorals.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    do you have him on smooth?
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it's best not to work in smooth mate =] I'm not even a 3D Artist but I know that it's definitely not a good idea to smooth it. You want to work with the polygon faces and edge loops.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Taylor Hood, that comment is so uninformed and misguided it boggles the mind. If you're working on a sub-d model, you're supposed to, what, guess?
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    i second slum!

i am actually modeling a warcraftish orc and guess what i'm doing?
    right, sub - d...

back ontopic:
    the belly area needs rework i think, but i dont know how much of muscles he'll get there, but if you do want to flesh them out you should probably rework that area...
    about the hunching... i dont know how muhc they are in your universe, but i'd make it a little less, it almost looks crippled to me
  • rustim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rustim polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good so far. Maybe broaden the lower torso a bit and bulk up the thighs, as they seem a little bit too small to support that huge upper body mass atm. Also in the side shot the balance seems to be leaning backwards a bit too much, like all the weight is in his heels.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the advice guys. Just to be clear, this model is going straight into zbrush where it will be subdivided to look much like this smoothed version. Im concentrating more on form and keeping quads as much as possible. A proper model for a game will be baked out later.

Do you mean model in a six pack or something, Morpheus?

And I definitely agree with you rustim!
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Some more progress. I think I'm getting pretty close to being able to import this guy into zbrush. I'm not trying to define all his muscles at them moment. Any that aren't defined here will be defined later in zbrush.

The feet will be mostly inside boots so I'm not overly concerned with toes.

Wireframes:
    M13kb.jpg
    c02Qe.jpg
    XA3vJ.jpg
    03kpL.jpg

Clays:
    SNr6W.jpg
    SiaAG.jpg
    5zsUo.jpg
    oZlh1.jpg
    Rdzcc.jpg
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try to get him as "checkered" as possible.Try to aim for a evenly distributed polycount.

But most of all, just get him into Zbrush right away and start playing. You can always change it, retopo it and find out what Zbrush likes and doesnt like.

I do however think you will get som annoying pinching a lot of places where youre topology isnt "standard".
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    I'll probably retopo very soon after getting him into zbrush, then reimport the new topology, work on him till he's finished and retopo for the final game ready version.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    More progress:
    egFik.jpg

I've been blocking in the muscles for this guy. They're still not 100% but it's getting there. I've just retopologised him to try and get a more even distribution of quads. I got some weird artifacts around the toes when reimporting the low-res model but it's not a big deal since the toes won't be visible.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    A few more progress shots:
    Tjgbt.jpg
    TMyNp.jpg
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving the face. Not crits at all. Keep going and keep looking at reference
  • Khalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It may be a little late to be saying this, but I really feel like the posture should be modified. As you noted in your first post, he definitely seems very rigid. A hulking figure like this needs to be slouching. Think of the weight of his head, and how difficult it must be to support it.

Other than that, it looks pretty impressive.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    So I haven't posted any progress on this forever. Here's a quick screen cap from modo.
    zN8mM.jpg
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow am I seeing a very distracting seam on the left? Or is it just the viewport bug?
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wretchedgoat polycounter lvl 8
    No arms come straight out from the body like how you have them. For example, the pectorals need to tuck in, not just sit on top of the arm. Google "arm anatomy" and look at how the muscles overlap.