Home› Unreal Engine

Control sound through Kismet

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
Simple question really, but there's not much to be found:
How do i go about controlling (ambient)sounds. As in, have them fade in, loop for a while, fade out. Toggling isn't hard, but it's the fading with a trigger I can't figure out. In Matinee I have no control over volume with a Sound Track as far as i can tell ? I'm also a bit confused as to why/when you would use simplesound vs soundcues ?

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Normally, I either use Play Sound or I toggle one on and toggle it off with a delay. All sounds added via kismet have the fade in and fade out time in their properties. I've never built it, but I'm sure you could plug at set float with a delay back to itself that keeps setting the float to a lower number and assigning that float to the sound's volume.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so that kinda works.
    The problem is getting it to loop and fade in and out. If I let it fade in and out, it will do the fading for every loop cycle. Also, the only way to loop it in Kismet seems to be putting the Finished output back into Play....
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stil wondering about this, anybody that actually used the soundtrack module with looping sounds ?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I can make a sample map for you. Would be easier than explaining at the moment.

You need a looping sound fade out after a number of plays?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, like hit a switch, a sound fades in, loops a few times, fades out. Or even fades out once you hit the switch again. Would be very cool if you made a map example.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    This is probably a hackish way but toggle the sound on make sure its an ambient sound and just animate the sound coming from top the player then for the fading out animate it back going top. Something of the top of my head and havent really tried. Would definitely like to see what Lamont puts up.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I need to install the latest version of UDK. I am missing some nodes. Simple solution that I found trying to do it the right way. Just open the Kismet and take a look:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2851501/DM-SoundDemo.rar

The real way is to make a MapMusicInfo and set the fade in and fade outs with cues. Then in Kismet trigger those "events" (ambient/action/suspense etc). But my version of UDK does not allow UDKMapMusicInfo, only UTMapMusicInfo... but there is no UTMapMusicInfo node to place... so I copied one from another map and it still didn't work. So going to install the latest UDK now.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    didnt know sound cues have a looping node. Nice job Lamont.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I installed the latest version. Going to get some sleep and get a fresh start and apply this correctly. I'm missing a step somewhere.