Home Technical Talk

XSI to Max

Ark
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ark polycounter lvl 11
1. Are there any plugins out there for Raycast Selection inside of Max? Paint selection works kinda similar but is a bit flaky and innacurate with it selections.

2. Is there an equivalent of XSI's Shrink Wrap available in Max? Basically it lets you conform one mesh to another meshes form.

Thx.

Replies

• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Regarding to your first question:
    raycastselect.png

Use Strg to select multiple faces(works with edges,verts to i will speak of faces for my convenience), left mouseclick to actually select them.
    Strg+Alt -> left click to deselect highlighted faces or
    just Alt->left click to deselect individual faces.

Unfortunately i don´t know what shrink wrap does maybe i could help then too :(
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Unfortunately i don´t know what shrink wrap does maybe i could help then to

The shrinkwrap deformation projects a wrapper object onto the surface of a target object. You can completely engulf the target, thereby giving the wrapper the same overall shape, or you can apply the wrapper onto the target like a decal.

Among many things, the shrinkwrap deformation can be used to:
    • Create a metamorphosis between two dissimilar objects by shrinkwrapping an object like a sphere onto one of the two objects, saving a shape key, and then repeating for the other object.
    shrinkwrap.gif
    • Project a curve onto a surface. For example, you can project a path onto uneven terrain or use a shrinkwrapped curve as a modeling aid.
    • Shrinkwrap surfaces onto a high-resolution polygon-mesh object to capture detail.

The shrinkwrap deformation maintains a modeling relation. This means that if you transform or deform the target (or the inner object, depending on the type of projection) after you have applied the deformation, the shape of the wrapper is altered accordingly.

And a video of it being used as well:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2n2YxJoMkE#t=0m51s
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    SpeCter: Cheers, but whats this 'Strg' you speak off? :D

Cryrid: Thats a really good example. This is a great tool for doing re-top.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry Strg(Steuerung) is the german meaning of Ctrl(Control), my bad :)

For the shrinkwrap feature, you could try Wrapit or the max retopo script(which is free, but not as awesome as wrapit).
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for clarifying SpeCter, but that's just pre-selection highlighting. Raycast is similar but lets you paint selections.

I've just seen SyncViewS is working on this, so I'll probably have to wait for that:
    http://dev.illusioncatalyst.com/?p=68
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Actually the currently available Illusion Catalyst tools have raycast built in already, its called "Pick" selection in IC2. What he's showing there is a preview for how it'll work in IC3.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Ahh thx for that, guess i'll try that. :)
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying SpeCter, but that's just pre-selection highlighting. Raycast is similar but lets you paint selections.

I've just seen SyncViewS is working on this, so I'll probably have to wait for that:
    http://dev.illusioncatalyst.com/?p=68

What makes it that much different expect that you don´t have to hold the mousekey all the time, just highlight what you want, left click, voila everything selected, in know that this feels much better in xsi but, this is the best solution so far(at least for me)

I´m sure SyncViewS will kick the shit out of that when IC3 comes out, so i´ll be patient :)
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Having a hard time selecting stuff in max compared to xsi. I feel as though i'm spending most of my time selecting stuff than actually modeling. :( Any tips?

Also why does max not class internal edge loops, as loops? i.e. if you inset the top of a cylinder, then try to run the loop select on the newly created edges it won't let you select the entire loop, without first deleting the faces in the center.
  • pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pasha_sevez polycounter lvl 13
    Ark wrote: »
    Having a hard time selecting stuff in max compared to xsi. I feel as though i'm spending most of my time selecting stuff than actually modeling. :( Any tips?

Also why does max not class internal edge loops, as loops? i.e. if you inset the top of a cylinder, then try to run the loop select on the newly created edges it won't let you select the entire loop, without first deleting the faces in the center.

To answer shortly - if Softimage is like a Ferrari, Max is like an old-old Cadillac. It doesn't hurry :)
    Personally I after migrating to XSI don't miss Max at all for modeling. Working in max is very awkward and oldschooly. XSI is much more flexible and intuitive. And you can feel it deeply only after you switched between XSi and Max. It's my personal opinion.
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    perna wrote: »
    Calling xsi flexible in comparison to max is something of a stretch.
    Pun!

I do think Max's selection tools are rather clunky though. Aren't there shortcuts for selecting loops or rings? (Modo's double-click edge, Softimage's Alt-click edge, neither requiring you to find buttons.)
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    So, like, my fire alarm just went off. ;)

Custom keyboard shortcuts it is.
  • pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pasha_sevez polycounter lvl 13
    perna wrote: »
    Elyaradine, this is the kind of thing I mean. There should be some kind of helmet that detected if a max user even considered clicking a ui button for something like that, which would automatically uninstall max and install Disney's poopie playhouse instead. 3ds is only good if you invest the time in learning it. Casual use of it will be ridiculously inefficient.

As for your specific request; just assign a keyboard shortcut.

edit: I see you asking whether there are already shortcuts. Again, this helmet, if you contemplate using default keyboard shortcuts, should launch you out the window and set your house on fire. If you wish to use default shortcuts, default UI, or default anything, 3ds is a terrible choice of software.

You're quite right - customization is almost everything artist needs. But some features are still not presented in max, e.g. REAL raycast (camera mapped) selection (lasso or rect), not the "similar" stuff under "Preview selection" group in Max. I had to spent some time (when started to work in softimage after max) - to get into the way of not being afraid of selecting invisible parts of mesh (not backfaced!).

I agree with you - it's not a lack of flexibility in Max. There are come cases of bad usability and friendliness. May be I'm wrong and just don't know how to add this functionality (e.g. raycast) but I really missed it. And now I have it in XSI without any plugins or scripts. Simply.