Home Technical Talk

Problem with DXT5 Alpha channel w. Photoshop DDS Plugin

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
kodde polycounter lvl 19
Hey guys,

I'm having a strange issue on my work computer when saving a DDS. I'm using the DXT5 standard and my alpha channel turns out like this:
dxt5alphaartifacts.th.jpg

It should look like this:
dxt5alpha.th.jpg

I've tried the same procedure on several other computers and no problems. Using same version of Photoshop (CS4). Using same version of DDS plugin (v8.23.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the DDS plugin. I cross checked my settings in the DDS options with a computer that produces good results. I tried grabbing the DDS.8bi file from a computer that produced good results and used it on my computer. I tried it in CS3 as well. No dice.

This is probably not an issue of reading the DDS in photoshop, because these artifacts are also apparent in Maya. So I'm assuming this is a problem when writing the DDS in photoshop.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Heheh, don't use their plugin?

I haven't seen this problem before, but I do know their tool is picky about color depth (8bpc only), absence of a Background layer, multiple Alpha channels, etc.

Have you tried the newer command-line Texture Tools 2 ?
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Eric> I'm quite sure I haven't been using anything but 8bit/channel and have only been using 1 alpha channel. I usually need to flatten the image before saving or I get the "Too many channels(5)" error. I'll check those issue tomorrow when I'm at work.

I haven't tried Texture Tools 2... yet. Might give it a go.
    I use AMD's Compressonator at the moment for my DXT5s. Would be nice to get the issue with the DDS plugin for Photoshop sorted since it's the app i use to alter the textures. Nice to keep it in one program and avoid hassle.
  • throttlekitty
    I recall some bug that persisted until you restarted photoshop. This may have been related, but memory totally fails me right now.