Home Unreal Engine

Spawn particles on mesh surface

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
Just wondering, as I'm delving into cascade right now:
Is it possible to use a (static) mesh surface as spawn location? I'm guessing it's not, since it's nowhere mentioned and there don't seem to be any ribbons for it? Would be a cool feature to have for dissolve type of effects (together with material FX)...

Replies

• Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Get the current objects location and feed that into your emitter spawn location in Kismet. Just a quick thought.

Or are you talking about a point on a surface (like a bullet impact)?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, not really; I'm talking about how you can have particles spawn all over a surface, and have them fly off. You could get some pretty awesome "peeling" effects with that. It's like how they do the "vampire desintegration" thing in Blade: have a bunch of particles spawn off a human shaped mesh.

edit; now that you mention it, I would be interested in finding out how to do "bullet impact" stuff without unrealscripting.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Bullet impact is just an emitter, I'd look into that and explore.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I know it's an emitter, just the automatic activating/spawning is what interests me :) I guess it's al Uscript gameplay stuff though. Would be cool if you could define this yourself with just phyiscsmaterial.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I think you could probably add a socket to the character mesh and attach an emitter from there, in conjunction with a material/masking effect you could probably get some nice results.