Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Grandpa Scarface

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Polygoblin polycounter
I am creating an older version of "Scarface" from the Batman series for the Comicon Challenge. This character always was one of my favorite villains as a kid, and I will enjoy modeling [them] quite a bit ;)

The general theme for my entry will be "The Age-less Power of Evil". I want to demonstrate the lasting power of evil by showing their fragile and weak bodies struggle to maintain, while the soul(s) inside remain just as twisted and powerful as ever!

I intend for Arnold Wesker (the Ventriloquist) to be a corpse, a few months past death. He will be in a constant state of decomposition, which Scarface has managed to deter (amazingly). Somehow the two still present an impressive opposition for do-gooders.
I'd love to hear any recommendations or suggestions from you guys :)

SF_SceneV2.jpg
Reference Maps:
Scarface
Puppets
Peter Boyle

Looking for critiques, and general feedback. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    Ambitious..

I don't think Wesker looks corpsey enough. He needs maggot holes in his flesh, peeling or bubbling skin, that sort of thing. At the moment he simply looks old and deformed.

Personally, I don't think Peter Boyle is a good base for Wesker, but I may simply be biased. My introduction to this character duo is from the WB cartoon. Wesker is an unassuming, retreating, wimpy character. Boyle is a cantankerous, angry, old man. Finding a Hollywood reference for a character like that might be difficult, you may have to use your imagination.

Scarface is recognizable though - but remember he is a puppet, not a little-person. He needs to look more like a puppet, and less like a dwarf with huge jowls.

Good start though.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Thanks for your helpful crits, trancerobot :)

I had plans of just making Wesker shriveled and in early stages of decomposition, but I definitely agree that some maggot holes or other kinds of flesh damage would be much more interesting to look at ;)

I am re-structuring the proportions to make Scarface look more like a puppet right now. Trying to come up with other ways to sell it, as well...
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Made some adjustments to the proportions:
    SF_SceneV3.jpg

Moving on...
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Wesker Hi Poly...
    AW_HeadMesh4b.jpg
    AW_HeadMesh4a.jpg
    AW_Mesh1a.jpg
    AW_Mesh1b.jpg

There's alot more I'd like to do, but I need to move on if I have any hopes of finishing on time. However, I still welcome feedback with open arms :)

Finishing up Scarface now....
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Okay, this project is old, but I've been working on it here-and-there inbetween many other things. I've gotten to a point where I should post an update again. I've finished a majority of high res work (besides a bit of detailing, if I decide to touch it more) and am just finishing up the low poly meshes while getting ready to unwrap. C&C is always welcome :)
    rp0V3.jpg
    74uCx.jpg
    5XWtf.jpg
    hNjp2.jpg
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Small update. I still have to unwrap the two characters and get proper bakes.

oxmX4.jpgfxPWY.jpg
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    It's time to get some clean maps baked out for all these pieces. Quick Update:

DBoiD.jpg
    er3fX.jpg
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Baked the characters. Probably should have made turntable shots, but oh well. I'll upload turntables when I finish baking the other assets.

ibiyx.jpg
    f1rwV.jpg

Tommygun is almost done already, and the chair will be done soon after.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    v4PHK.jpg

Almost ready to start painting...
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    14k Tris for the wheelchair is seems mighty steep to me. With some clever alpha placement, you could cut this down a lot. If I were you, I would use an alpha for those springs under the seat, and maybe on those latching things under the arms. You've got some edgeloops going up the sideplanks of the back support that don't seem to be doing all that much, and the horizontal loop on the back piece seems unnecessary.

See how low you can get this bad boy without degrading the quality. I'm willing to bet with a bit of tomfoolery, you could half that tri count.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i'm really loving this but the proportions on the ventriloquist are throwing me off, he looks a lot like the dummy. Torso and arms are really elongated. It's been a while since life drawing classes, but i believe you should be around 7-8 heads (someone correct me here) high, and right now i'm seeing about 5

edit: also his fingers are looking a little too spaced out
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    @Dareenbo - I thought it was a high poly count too, but everything is just so damn round! I thought the only way to reduce significant polys was to use 2-sided spokes or to use a single surface w/ alpha. You gave me two great ideas I didn't think of, though. I'm going to try the alpha tricks out right now. As for the outer backrest beams, there is a slight curve at the top, actually. This angle just does a shoddy job of showing it. Thx mate.

@MikeF - I just checked, and if you're talking about the dead guy w glasses, he is actually 7 heads high. You may be talking about the dummy that is 5 heads high, and I did that on purpose ;) Don't know what you mean about the fingers...
  • njc6425
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Thanks njc6425 :)

Shaved of about 3,000 polys thanks to the alhpa techniques. Great ideas! Not much else there appears I can do to chip away at the poly count without gradually reducing quality.

edit* - I also removed the bottom edge loop on that wooden beam. You could only just barely tell a differnce w that one

IQ5KO.jpg
    g5Vi3.jpg
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Okay, another quick update to finish off the bakes...

2Cosc.jpg

Time to start texturing!
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Here is my initial texturing update. I cleaned up the maps, got the base colors down, and am working the specs currently.

1Vhqg.jpg

C&C is welcome, just remember that I have a LONG way to go on these textures.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    IXP89.jpg

Posed for the most part, with a few tweaks still left to do. I also changed Scarface’s colors around to more closely match his likeness from the comics. Been detailing and adding wear in different spots. Still have plenty more to do, but it’s getting there.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Haha very nice! You could maybe stretch the right hand's index finger out to the gun's trigger and put the thumb on the left side of the gun's grip, the hand's pose would then look a bit more natural. But then again, its a dummy's hand :D..

Any chance you could show me the wireframe of the characters from the back (i'm mainly interested in the elbow, neck and knee part) ? Just out of curiosity and if it isn't too much trouble of course :D

Anyway great job!
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Thanks mate! I still have to pose his gun-hand, and have some tweaks to do around the elbows and ankles (UVs are stretching). I'll get you a wire after I fix all that.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    I’ve been working on all the assets, but made some good progress on the wheelchair that I wanted to show. Need to address the faces because I haven’t worked on them much yet.

xoEYq.jpg
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Wanted to show off the progress on Mr. Wesker. He’s in horrid shape, being a few months dead and all, and I’m really working to get the colors right. Also beefed up the spec map and added a coat of dirt. Still need to figure out how I’ll pull off barely-there whispy hair for this fella, so I’m planning that out now.

sNQ1h.jpg
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Had to finish a small contract first, but I'm back to working on this.

Here's another update of the entire scene. Did too many different things to mention, but mostly focused on skin tones and damage (on both characters). I also fixed the pose, but still may have to tweak Scarface's eyes. C&C appreciated.

aLOqi.jpg
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Here’s one of my final wip updates. I did A LOT since my last update, so it’s hard to describe what’s different. All I have left to do is the hair on Mr Wesker. I already have some nice hair tiles going on, I just need to lay out the planes on his head and use the fur texturing technique I mention in my tutorial. In the meantime, I wanted to share an update and kindly ask for any crits you may have to offer. There is quite a bit of z-fighting going on and a few seams to clean up. Also, I’m thinking about what kind of pedestal I want to make and if you have any ideas there, I’m all ears :)

VgDt2.jpg
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    Looking sick! I love watching you work on this during the google+ hangouts. My one suggestion would be to up the AO where the guys touch the chair and maybe each other. They just seem to be floating without the darkening of the textures.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Ah, yes! You make a great point thx :D I can easily fix parts of that, but I'm curious how I could do it where Scarface's foot meets Wesker's leg (since both legs are mirrored). Hmmmm.... I'll ponder that. Glad you like the hangout btw. I enjoy the hell out of them.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    I didn't take care of the AO yet, but I def plan to. Been busy adding hair to Mr. Wesker. I wanted to go for a whispy look. This is my first try at using hair planes, so I wanted to ask you all... am I on the right track?

QfEIS.jpg

I've been following this tutorial.
  • user38
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, google+ hangout crew! i like the suggestion about upping the AO on the chair as well. As far as the hair goes I would make it flow downwards towards the ears and yellow/blacken the teeth and gums a bit
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Thanks user38. I didn't touch the teeth/gums yet but I plan to. Slipped my mind :P

Okay, I am currently working the materials in UDK. Having problems with the alpha as it seems to only want to respond to 100% black or 100% white. Still have a lot of lighting work to do as well. Having trouble with shadows in that department. I'll get it sorted out.

ELK80.jpg
    C&C appreciated :)

*edit - had to flip the y channels on the normal maps. Looked terrible once I recognized it. Also fixed some uv stretching, and added normal map definition to the hair.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Finally finished this bad boy up. Learned lots of cool new techniques and was able to push way past my limits. That’s the idea!
    UpiDe.jpg
    pmqUB.jpg
    PJyde.jpg

I wanted to thank everyone on Polycount and in the Google+ hangout sessions. I received many great tips that allowed me to break through some very tough obstacles.

Criticism is always welcome :)