Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Arkhangelsk Battle Suit

This is my first post on PC. This is my newest model, modeled in max, sculpted in zbrush, textured in PS. It's about 40k Tris with 1024 maps. Crits and comments are always welcome and I have a very thick skin, so don't hold back. Thanks!

GA_MainShot.jpg
GA_1.jpg
GA_2.jpg
GA_3.jpg

Replies

• madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome work Kevin, great look and silhouette. My two cents are it has a ludicrous amount of wear and tear showing so it's clearly seen a lot of use but I find it's uniform all over the body, and it's pretty much all just scratches.

I'd like to see heavier wear at the joints and places that would routienely brush and rub up against things, and not just at the edge of every single plate of metal. Like think about what situation would it have to be in to get certain scratches, like just above the knee part I like how its really torn up from them metal hitting it when it walks.

It feels a little noisy, like I like the shape but when I look at it my eyes aren't drawn to any particular place due to how uniform it is. Less can be more in times like this, maybe try varying up places of heavy detail and low detail to draw the eye where you want them to focus.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe vary it up by include stains, scorch marks, bullet holes, other types of damage then just scratching, though that might be hard to make look unique as it seems like you've got a lot of efficient UV mirroring going on.

On that note, care to show your texture maps? :)
  • kevinjonesart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the honest replies. I definately agree with you on all accounts, the scratching is a bit overboard. And it needs to be more concentrated in realistic wear and tear areas. Unfortunately everything is mirrored so creating really unique wear, like bulletholes etc could be VERY distracting. But I suppose I could cut out parts of the the mirrored uv.

Below are the zgrabs, nothing special. Really cumbersome because of the file size, I seperated all the ztools to work on them. The diffuse is the upper part of the body.

Zgrab1.jpg
    Zgrab3.jpg
    Zgrab2.jpg

Upper-Diffuse6.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    Cool stuff. Looks like something out of section 8.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's one pretty gundam. haha! Thats some great work!
  • itsmadman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im not digging the colors but you are making it work regardless. Good job you should show more of your work if its any thing like this
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    To much noice in the metal work, makeing it come out blotchy~
  • kevinjonesart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, there is a ton of noise in the metalwork for sure. And it does read a little congested. Thanks for your honesty.