Home Technical Talk

UDK - Animating cut scene

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
seanpetitt polycounter lvl 14
So, I know how to animate and import animations.

What if I wanted an animated cut scene that has two characters interacting with each other. How would I approach this?

My thoughts are that I animate the full cut scene minus the camera (because that is being animated in UDK) in Maya before importing it into UDK. In the end it will be a real-time cut scene.

I am more used to packaging the individual animations for a character. (ie. run cycles and attack animations)

When I have the export of the two characters, would the two characters be one exported mesh with bones? (two meshes, two rigs=exported as one?)

I figure for the storyboard, we need to know the camera's positioning in order to break up the animation to compensate for the camera being animated out of Maya.

If anyone has any insight, please tell your ideas or even better, experiences.

Replies

• thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYefSKUiSYA[/ame]
    here is some crap I did a year ago, probably the way you want to do your cutscenes.

what I did was, put all the root joint of all the characters in the scene, in the same spot, in Motionbuilder. for example, in the middle or so (top of the floor still, not middle of the mesh!) of the box I used as ground.
    then I animated the scene I wanted, saved it, took it back into Maya and exported all the characters separately.
    for example,

imp1_scene.anim
    imp2_scene.anim
    imp3_scene.anim
    soldier1_scene.anim
    soldier2_scene.anim
    soldier3_scene.anim

that is, 6 meshes, 6 rigs, exported separately, not as one!

then I got them all into Uengine3 I belive, maybe it was UDK..same same
    and placed all of them together in the middle.

meh.. horrible explanation..
    but I should really be exporting animations here at work now.. so Im a bit stressed
    lol xD

hope you got it though..
  • seanpetitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seanpetitt polycounter lvl 14
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYefSKUiSYA
    here is some crap I did a year ago, probably the way you want to do your cutscenes.

what I did was, put all the root joint of all the characters in the scene, in the same spot, in Motionbuilder. for example, in the middle or so (top of the floor still, not middle of the mesh!) of the box I used as ground.
    then I animated the scene I wanted, saved it, took it back into Maya and exported all the characters separately.
    for example,

imp1_scene.anim
    imp2_scene.anim
    imp3_scene.anim
    soldier1_scene.anim
    soldier2_scene.anim
    soldier3_scene.anim

that is, 6 meshes, 6 rigs, exported separately, not as one!

then I got them all into Uengine3 I belive, maybe it was UDK..same same
    and placed all of them together in the middle.

meh.. horrible explanation..
    but I should really be exporting animations here at work now.. so Im a bit stressed
    lol xD

hope you got it though..

You sir, are awesome. Thanks for the great response and it was perfect explanation. I get what you're saying (I think, lol). So animate in the reference to the space of the environment. So environment items I assume it needs a bone weighted to the object and therefore animated with the character, and where the object is picked up or interacted needs to be placed with a reference mesh of where it will be in the eventual level. Does the item being interacted with need to be an seperate anim and skeleton export? I assume yes, considering the soldiers or much like an object being grabbed.

Thanks a bunch again!