Home Technical Talk

keep my portifolio together

I have been studying and reading lots of books, and workings hours per days, months of hard work on tutorials and projects, like cars, buildings, guns, and a lot of other things, and I was wondering if I may use my finished models/animations/maps on my portfolio.

Would that be ok? Do I need to put the name and source of the learning book/training school?

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I think this is what you're talking about....

This has been discussed quite a bit here. You may still be able to dig it up in a General Discussion search. There's always a different opinion on this, but here's the one I liked the most:

(1)If you make something based on a tutor, employers recognize that same tutorial asset from all the other crappy portfolios. That's bad news, but it gets worse. (2) This also tells people that you do NOT know make the assets. It's a recreation of someone else's steps, and NOT the application of the knowledge you gained. Had you LEARNED you would have made an piece showing the new skill you attained.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    cholden wrote: »
    (1)If you make something based on a tutor, employers recognize that same tutorial asset from all the other crappy portfolios. That's bad news, but it gets worse. (2) This also tells people that you do NOT know make the assets. It's a recreation of someone else's steps, and NOT the application of the knowledge you gained. Had you LEARNED you would have made an piece showing the new skill you attained.

QFT
  • Dastan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In that case it would be better not to care much for the projects in books? Do it fast and without too much details, or just try to follow the steps working on some other similar model? Like follow a tutorial to build an machine gun, but actually build a shotgun? I need to start to create my own models but I also need to get an internship on Ubisoft and I have like a week and no portfolio to show.
  • Dastan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and there is lots of things I need to learn and read, and college to focus, I don' t know where to start because there is no time to since I really really need that internship
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep.

They aren't going to hire you to follow a step by step guide to creating the pieces, they're going to give you an idea and ask that you run with it. If you're lucky you might get a bit of reference and MAYBE a concept, if you're lucky.

You also have to take into account that just about every first attempt made by just about everyone is going to suck compared to the next 2 or 3 they do. Learn what you can apply it to something new, then apply what you learned and apply that to something new and THEN think about putting that in your portfolio =)

Focus on quality don't worry about speed in the beginning. Speed without quality is nothing. Speed will come with practice which also increases quality... so the common thread here is, do more and keep doing more! If you really love it, it won't be much of an issue, if you hate doing more work then its time to look for another line of work heh...

Master artists did dozens of sketches and study paintings before laying down the first layer of paint on the canvas of what was to be the final finished piece.

For the internship on such a tight deadline, you should probably go with whatever you have and try to squeeze out something you've done on your own. Just know its probably not your best foot forward and hopefully by the time you're ready to start applying you'll have worked up some great pieces.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Dastan wrote: »
    Oh and there is lots of things I need to learn and read, and college to focus, I don' t know where to start because there is no time to since I really really need that internship

ermm, kid, not to shatter your dreams or anything, but it might be a little bit soon for an internship at an AAA studio if you're only just leaving the tutorial stage.
  • Dastan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    ermm, kid, not to shatter your dreams or anything, but it might be a little bit soon for an internship at an AAA studio if you're only just leaving the tutorial stage.

I have to be positive xD and believeeee haha