Home Technical Talk

How should I start with this? (3D Modeling)

ogxwjo.jpg

As the thread title says, how should I start with this?

I'm pretty new with 3D modeling and figured this wouldn't be too easy or too hard but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to start. Use a plane, cylinder, square, or?

Replies

• Buzzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably just good old-fashioned box modeling. Make an image plane of this reference photo to build from, make a box and start cutting edges and extruding faces.
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    Well the main surfaces will be pretty easy. You can start with a box, and begin fitting the vertices to the shape of it. See the "how u model dem shapes" thread if you need help getting the surfaces. You'll probably wind up using subd modeling so you should look up tutorials on the basics of that. There's a good binocular tutorial here
    http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3ds-max/an-introduction-to-subdivision-high-poly-modeling-tools-and-techniques/

I've loved this one in the past.

For the actual business end of the model, I'd recommend getting a lot of references. If you have or could get the real thing, do that. It'll help tremendously. Preferaby find one free if possible.

Good luck!
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    There is a button at the very very corner of max, that says "create cool drill from reference" :P

There is a thread that talks about how to model shapes and such.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56014

The best way to approach it is to use primitives to block out areas of your object. Then go back and start doing passes on those areas with new geometry specifically built for those areas. Things like bolts and nuts should be modeled prior to starting on the whole thing. And reused all around.

The process is very mechanical and technical. Its just a lot of repetition. Is hard at 1st but after a few props it gets easier.
  • GoodDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY wrote: »

I just tried watching that tutorial but couldn't get more than a couple minutes in before I was screaming at the guy to buy a friggen' pop filter and move his mouth away from the microphone.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    thanks to donations from some people who are likely more generous than you, i was able to purchase a shure microphone and a decent pop filter.

if you want to learn about anything, don't watch my videos. they're old and terrible.
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    It's not a bad tutorial at all.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Racer445 wrote: »
    thanks to donations from some people who are likely more generous than you, i was able to purchase a shure microphone and a decent pop filter.

if you want to learn about anything, don't watch my videos. they're old and terrible.

If you say that, you'll have to do new ones :p
  • GoodDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Don't hate me for being honest man, I eat up all the good tutorials I can get but I couldn't get through a word of what you we're saying. You don't need expensive tools, you can make a cheap pop filter with crap laying around the house and spending a few minutes testing out your audio is all you need to have great videos.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    oh i'm well aware those videos had garbage audio, but i'm just saying i purchased a studio quality microphone and if you watch any newer tutorial i have made, you will hear how much better the audio sounds.

xoliul i hate tutorials, they make things seem easier than they really are, and it will probably never happen unless someone gives me a lot of money.
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh i'm well aware those videos had garbage audio, but i'm just saying i purchased a studio quality microphone and if you watch any newer tutorial i have made, you will hear how much better the audio sounds.

xoliul i hate tutorials, they make things seem easier than they really are, and it will probably never happen unless someone gives me a lot of money.

That's really damn true. edit Nonetheless I'd like to thank you for making the tutorials you have made, I learned some interesting things and it was pretty entertaining unlike most other voiced over tuts.
  • GoodDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

That's true, though i've gotten alot of help from just watching people work and learning a bit about proper workflow for polygonal and subdivision modeling. Often it helps (for me anyway) to see how different people use the avilable tools. Learning a new skill is always going to be harder than it looks when watching someone skilled do it, but I think they're invaluable.
  • Dmented
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the tips guys, I think I'm getting a hang of it. It's not perfect right now but this is really teaching me a lot. At the moment I'm just doing the handle piece.

Let me try to fix up a few quick things and I will edit this post with a crappy render of where I am so far.