Home Technical Talk

baking texture - 3ds Max 7

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
Hey all. I've got a question and all the searching I've done hasn't really got me past basic baking questions.

Bascially I have started messing with trying to do LOD models and higher poly bakes.

Currently I'm working on vegetation and one of the team members wanted more ground cover (ivy type plants to hide tex seams)

So I modelled one hi poly leaf, then made a bunch of clones and organize them into a 'carpet'. I baked that down onto a plane with Xnormal (normals, AO) then multiplied green over the ao in PS for the diffuse.
It actually worked pretty well and looks decent in game. But there's not alot of detail in the leaves. (veins, discoloration).

So I tried to uv map the leaf and paint a specific texture (I will do like 2-3 of these), then clone it and bake it. I can render in max for a diffuse with more detail then overlay that with the xnormal bakes.

But I'd like to skip the max render step and just bake a diffuse from the highpoly model (that has 2-3 diffuse maps that are applied to it) all in one step.
Either render to tex in Max or in Xnormal.

So basically.

3 small leaves, all with their own diffuse and uv. cloned many times into a 'carpet of leaves'.

Baked into one UV/diffuse for the whole carpet along with normals and AO.

I figure it can be done but haven't chose the correct options in Max or Xnormal.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if I understand the question. Baking a ton of objects at once shouldn't be a problem in Max, if that's what you're asking. Just make sure all the leaves are added to the Projection modifier that's on your low-poly object.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a bunch of leaf models (3 diffuse maps) to bake down into one diffuse for a plane (decal).

I'll mess with the projection, I figured that was it but was getting white maps. Possibly just couldn't find the correct settings.

COuldn't find any tuts that covered that but I'll search with projection in mind.

Thanks.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to make sure the cage encompasses all the leaves you might need to reset and adjust the push value in the projection modifier. also make sure that the leaves don't have their backfaces turned toward the camera. Select the leaves, right click, object properties, check on Backface Cull.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    F1 is the best help you can find
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the help. I just needed to figure out the projection settings, now it's working very nicely.

I'm now trying to render them with an alpha map on a per leaf basis so some leafes will have holes/rough edges/etc...
    But when baking the alpha is just grey, anyway around this?

Using a greyscal tga in the opacity slot.